Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

I gave up and went RMR Type 2 today. It looks to be the least-bad option for EDC. For me, the flaws are the bottom-load battery, the BUIS obstructing much of an already-small window, and the reports of loss of emitter window. I'd take an enclosed emitter but it's not a priority for my use - the optic will be under a shirt or indoors or at at an outdoor range in decent weather for 98% of my shooting, the remaining 2% being the rain I seem to encounter at training courses.

The ACRO battery life is a disappointment, but to be honest I still feel like I would've gone RMR anyway because of the profile of the optic.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    To say that I’m disappointed that the pistol mounted RDS forum moderator hasn’t reviewed the Holosun HS507c is an understatement.

Moderator status: under review

He needs to use his title and call Holosun to get a 508T to review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is my thinking as of mid June 2019 ...
    This is why I subscribe here. Thank you, @GJM.

SHOT Show 2012 I was wearing this concealed under a polo shirt AIWB the entire show.....I really wish people would have maybe taken my input on the subject. Mark Housel and I ruined at least one slide and it took a year to get this right. Sadly, I was dismissed as not having any knowledge on the process by multiple places in the industry and sort of gave up and now I just eat popcorn and watch dumpster fires.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    SHOT Show 2012 I was wearing this concealed under a polo shirt AIWB the entire show.....I really wish people would have maybe taken my input on the subject. Mark Housel and I ruined at least one slide and it took a year to get this right. Sadly, I was dismissed as not having any knowledge on the process by multiple places in the industry and sort of gave up and now I just eat popcorn and watch dumpster fires.
    Alright, I’m curious. What is the thinking with the additional barrel length?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    To say that I’m disappointed that the pistol mounted RDS forum moderator hasn’t reviewed the Holosun HS507c is an understatement.

Moderator status: under review

I knew I was forgetting an optic! My wife and I have three Holosun 507 units between us.

They fit an RMR footprint, and are they are less expensive than the Trijicon/Acro. My first one broke in just a few days, while the one on my wife’s number four Glock 34 continues to run. On my replacement 507, I have a big scratch on the lens. The only other optic I have that has scratched like that is an RMS, where a piece of brass hit the lens and made a small divot.

Overall, they seem less desirable than an RMR for carry, but with a display small enough to not make them great for competition. My experience suggests quality is hit or miss, and the lens is susceptible to scratching. Up/down buttons are very small.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I find myself wondering what the next generation RMR is going to look like. While I have no problem with the width of the optic, I'd really like a taller window to facilitate picking up the dot initially. My 2 Type 2s see limited use since they're not mounted on match type guns, but my Type 1 just keeps chugging along.
    Real guns have hammers.

Headed off today for a three day match with a bunch of friends shooting CO. My wife is bringing four optics (note we focus on slides with optics as opposed to pistols). I have just two, since the SRO, which was my number three failed, but I have a third DP Pro pre zeroed with me. My friend, Rich, loaned me a 320 X5/to try in practice, but got nervous only having two pistols with him, so he will have three. YVK has two and some spare stuff. Talionis only has one VP9, but I told him that was too risky so I am bringing along a VP9/DP Pro slide so he has back-up. That is the state of red dot competition sights today!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Having been forced into trifocals I was really hoping, like many others I’m sure, this was going to be the year of the dot.
    I bought a pistol specifically for this project but unfortunately it sits in the safe unused.
    Looking at a vehicle purchase this year and reading reviews it looks like this phenomena of products released with problems is not specific to the firearms industry.
    At least there is progress in the RDS market and one consolation is there should be a glut of reconditioned optics available this year.
    @GJM If Leuopold’s next gen sight fixes the reliability issues would it not be visble as a ccw optic? Are those available now or soon?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I've been saying it for years, but RDS are just not ready for prime time duty use yet.

Lots of high speed, low drag, low coefficient of friction units (DoD special operations and LE SWAT) are literally forcing the adoption of RDS because they are addicted to the flat range accuracy they get from an RDS, but it's a fad not unlike those same units all adopting 1911 pistols in the late 90's-early 2000's with all the drawbacks of those as mass issue duty weapons. When you think about the intended use of a duty pistol for these units as a backup/insurance policy, it makes no sense to add a significant mode of failure to it.

I think as a concealed carry or plain clothes option for shooters (especially enthusiasts who will keep up with battery changes and checking zero on occasion) with aging eye sight, an RMR is viable and low enough risk of failure if you have separate training and carry guns that you can get away with it. For a mass issue, "let's give this to 36 SWAT operators and only issue them one pistol/optic," it's a bad idea waiting for a disastrous consequence. For reference, I was one of the "enthusiasts" trying to get my team of non-enthusiast operators to change their recoil spring and firing pin spring once a year on their 1911's, and doing that was like pulling teeth.
    Last edited by Gio; 06-20-2019 at 09:20 AM.

User Tag List