Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

If you take the articles written on the 1911, which describe them as enthusiast choices requiring extra attention, you could probably substitute”red dot” for “1911” and be spot on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Alright, I’m curious. What is the thinking with the additional barrel length?
    It looks smooth, but is actually threaded under a smooth thread protector. It was made for me years ago and has a matching can that was left at my old agency. I carried it at SHOT with a regular barrel and non extended magazines.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Man. I'd really like to spend some time with a red dot. I think it would be an interesting challenge and benefit my iron shooting. So what's the default recommendation in June 2019?

Sounds like despite recent releases my best bet may still be a type 2 RMR.

Is there a factory optics-cut gun worth a crap? Just slap it on a MOS glock? Any optics-cut DA/SA guns worth a darn? I haven't really wanted to mess with milling one...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would love a closed emitter design, as long as it came with an otherwise good feature set.

Darryl Bolke thinks Aimpoint could have used the Acro mounting system on a micro, to facilitate use on a pistol, and probably have been better off.
    I don't have direct experience with a slide mounted Micro, but it appears from reading that they are prone to suffer rheostat failures - some say within 10,000 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    SHOT Show 2012 I was wearing this concealed under a polo shirt AIWB the entire show.....I really wish people would have maybe taken my input on the subject. Mark Housel and I ruined at least one slide and it took a year to get this right. Sadly, I was dismissed as not having any knowledge on the process by multiple places in the industry and sort of gave up and now I just eat popcorn and watch dumpster fires.
    What are you gonna do with a dumpster fire if not pop some popcorn and watch?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Headed off today for a three day match with a bunch of friends shooting CO. My wife is bringing four optics (note we focus on slides with optics as opposed to pistols). I have just two, since the SRO, which was my number three failed, but I have a third DP Pro pre zeroed with me. My friend, Rich, loaned me a 320 X5/to try in practice, but got nervous only having two pistols with him, so he will have three. YVK has two and some spare stuff. Talionis only has one VP9, but I told him that was too risky so I am bringing along a VP9/DP Pro slide so he has back-up. That is the state of red dot competition sights today!
    FWIW, I'm still shooting irons and I'm bringing four pistols so I can be sure not to run out.

GJM and many others have harangued me endlessly about getting a dot. I've had irons fail too, but at the moment I do feel like they are probably a better bet than any of the available dots. The real reason I have stuck with irons is that my eyes are still doing ok with them (who know how long that will last though) and it seems to me that red dots on pistols are SUCH a work in progress, that I don't want to spend any money or energy investing in technology that is surely going to be eclipsed in the coming several years. I'm sure I will jump on the red dot train eventually; I'm just holding out as long as I can.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Man. I'd really like to spend some time with a red dot. I think it would be an interesting challenge and benefit my iron shooting. So what's the default recommendation in June 2019?

Is there a factory optics-cut gun worth a crap? Just slap it on a MOS glock? Any optics-cut DA/SA guns worth a darn? I haven't really wanted to mess with milling one...
    If it's going to be used as a trainer only, then I don't think any of the issues discussed matter much. If I got a dot today, that is what it would be for me, and I'd set it up as cheaply and expediently as possible. So that probably would mean simply getting an MOS gun and an optic that was a pretty good price and calling it good.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    ...Is there a factory optics-cut gun worth a crap? Just slap it on a MOS glock? Any optics-cut DA/SA guns worth a darn? I haven't really wanted to mess with milling one...
    Well, HK, Glock, Walther and Springfield have proven models with plates that accommodate most MRDs. Do you have a favorite?

There are also manufacturers that offer a plate that replaces the rear sight for MRD mounting. Probably the cheapest way to test the waters. I have no research on those, but you could Google.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Zero issues in 5k+ rounds through a 19x with rm06 type 2, milled by atei.

Yes, my early type1 had a connectivity issue which were fixed by trijicon. My other RMRs have never had any issues.

What’s the statistical probability of being involved in a shooting as a civilian? And then compound the probability of a dot dying at the same time... not likely.

What’s clearly evident is that shooting around barricades and from odd positions, the dot is faster than irons. It’s also faster for any small target beyond 15 yards.

And if the dot does go out, I have irons for backup.

Anyone convinced that dots are a fad need to spend a day on a non flat range to see the remarkable benefits the technology offers.

I really like the CZ optics ready setup if you do not need to stay with a specific platform. They have good ergos, a great trigger, Glock sized pistols, reliable, and inexpensive. They come with good buis and the dot is low in the slide for being a factory option. Find a OR CZ and a rmr 2 on sale. You will be gtg for a minimal investment considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post

Anyone convinced that dots are a fad need to spend a day on a non flat range to see the remarkable benefits the technology offers.
    I think it takes more than a day. A friend has dawdled with one and sees no advantage. People I know who have gotten serious for a while are getting real results.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List