Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip printing with pocket carry.

Grip printing with pocket carry.

I find myself pocket carrying quite often. I find a 43 or a 642 carry well in the holsters I have for them. I have noticed that no matter the gun or the holster I find the grip prints like the grip of a gun. I had a friend come in the shop the other day that I know pocket carries a 365. I noticed his 365 looks like a phone in his pocket other than the grip. I know most people are not looking that hard but I notice. I have mika, aholster backbone, uncle mikes etc for each of them and find the grip prints. What do you do or what have you found that breaks that up?

Deep pockets (Wrangler, Duluth and some Carhartt) and cargo pants are wonderful for pocket carry. The "cargo" part of cargo pants is very effective at breaking up the outline. Additionally, a single piece of thin plastic cut to the size and shape of your pocket can also assist in blocking any outlines from the gun. This is a mighty simple and effective method. Caveat: the closer the plastic matches the size and shape of the pocket the more streamlined it will function.

I just don't worry about it because nobody but you goes around looking at pocket bulges.

Duluth Flex cargo pants have deep hand pockets and the thigh pocket is perfectly placed to break up the outline of whatever is carried in the hand pocket.
    You could stare at my bulge all day and just have to use your imagination as to exactly what i'm packing.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I have a generic squarish pocket holster with a 442 in my R pocket and my wallet in the cargo pocket below it. Probably looks like I'm a D-Day paratrooper, but I don't care.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I've been carrying a 442 or 642 in my support side pocket, for years, with DiSantis pocket holsters. They come with a thin, removable cover flap on the outboard side that breaks up the outline, but I usually take it off. If the "grip bulge" bothers you, those are an option to further conceal it.

The only downside with these holsters seems to be that the rubberized "grippy" stuff on the outside wears out after a couple of years, which requires you to get a new holster. Fortunately, they aren't very expensive.
    Last edited by Horseman; 09-26-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Claude W. has advocated for a folded up pc of paper in the pocket. That's a pretty slick tip. I usually put my phone on the outside of the gun/holster. That really seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Lol, that guy has chicken legs.

Site Supporter
    The Ravine Pocket Shield is a great piece of kit, I use everyday for holding two magazines comfortably and it would work to break up the gun outline. I put my wallet on the outside of the holster. Maybe not ideal and it is a small only holding 4 cards wallet. It might get me killed in the streets but life/work has me restricted to pocket carry and man there is only so much space.

Another option is to have a tailor deepen the pockets of your pants. This will give the gun in the pocket holster more space and result in less printing as well as making the gun easier to draw. I have had this done with a lot of pairs of pants. Just make sure not to have the pockets deepened too much, so that the muzzle of the gun is constantly tapping you in the knee.

User Tag List