Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Magazines As Reloads For A Glock 19 Worth The Money?

Just because we seem to be bumping this thread just to bump it - I use G17 mags (some with +2) for all my reloads for my G19 primary and my G26 backup/off duty carry. A couple years back, the local cop shop was out of G19 mags when I went to buy my annual three mags, but they had G17 mags. After I bought three of those, I realized they weren't bigger enough to be a concealment issue, and they still fit in the pocket of my shorts when I carry my G26, so why not have the extra couple of rounds?

At this point, I've probably got 9 G17 mags, 12-15 G19 mags, and three G26 mags (that came with the pistol).

Oh, and since we're drifting - all you sissy crotch rocket dudes have to find a V-Max and get over yourselves...

Banned
    I've made up my mind to pick up a couple of factory +2 extensions and see how that works before I do anything else.
    You guys can continue this discussion as you see fit

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    The correct answer is to carry one of the new 24-round 9mm magazines for a reload. They're about the same length as a G19 slide, so it's no more difficult to carry IWB than the gun.
    The even better answer, for me, is the 24 round mags with +3 extensions. I carry 2, because I can. No fat roll to interfere with them.

Nice.

Today, I am carrying the G19 w/ 19 rnd mag in, Magpul 21 rnder on the side. Gotta love havin' that easy 40 rnds on tap.

Easily concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojonixon View Post
    The even better answer, for me, is the 24 round mags with +3 extensions. I carry 2, because I can. No fat roll to interfere with them.
    Just came here to post the same thing...

I love the 24's but hate the rattle, so as I mentioned earlier in this thread the 24's are easily loaded to 25 rounds thus stopping the rattle. I never had a function issue with 25 but I did notice the rear base of the mag where it is neither supported by the metal liner nor the mag base was starting to bulge outward... maybe not an issue but I didn't like the look of it. The solution was the Glock +2 extension which easily allows for +3 in the 24 stick, both keeping the rounds an odd number to stop the rattle and completely eliminating the bulging. And since the 24 stick uses the same spring as the Happy Sticks, no worries about low spring tension... I call these my Jolly Sticks.

Banned
    FWIW I never did get the extensions but I have taken to only carrying a 19 magazine as a reload for my 26.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    My thoughts and practices exactly.

I say it's worth it, Cypher. I still use a 15 round mag in the gun for concealment's sake, but I can't find a reason to not carry "extended" mags for reloads, in addition to being easier/less fumble prone (especially so from a Blue Force Gear pouch). A good bit of us at my job do the same, whether it's a baseplate extension, PMAG 21, or Glock 17 mag. I've tried all three.
    This

While the statistics say you won't need a reload or that many rounds, once you're in a shooting the statistics just went out the window. I've never heard of anyone wishing for less ammo or a smaller caliber or less cover in a deadly force situation..... My two cents; carry the ammo...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I use a Taran Tactical +5 extension on my reload, and a standard 15rd mag in the gun when carrying concealed. Taking me from 31 total rounds to 36. Easy to conceal, and a 16% increase in available ammo.

While most of my work is "plainclothes," when in full tac gear I have the pistol loaded with TT+5 extended mags, and two reloads with the TT+5 extended mags. Taking me from 46 total rounds to 61 total. That's a 32% increase in available ammo.
    Last edited by DMF13; 10-02-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Glock 17 Magazines As Reloads For A Glock 19 Worth The Money?

Not directed at anyone in particular, but I don’t understand the appeal of extensions anymore. They all seem to have issues (at least last I checked) and the best ones (TTI IIRC) are at least the price of one actual mag, if not two. Magpul has 17, 21, and 27 round magazines now and Glock has 24 rounders, plus the 19X mags that give you a factory option for 19 rounds. Why would anyone spend the money on an extension at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-02-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Not directed at anyone in particular, but I don’t understand the appeal of extensions anymore. They all seem to have issues (at least last I checked) and the best ones (TTI IIRC) are at least the price of one actual mag, if not two. Magpul has 17, 21, and 27 round magazines now and Glock has 24 rounders, plus the 19X mags that give you a factory option for 19 rounds. Why would anyone spend the money on an extension at this point?
    I use a two round factory extension on my a Glock 26 because it extends the grip just enough for me to get a full hand grip on the gun. As I mentioned above I carry a 19 magazine as a reload.

User Tag List