Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Magazines As Reloads For A Glock 19 Worth The Money?

Issues? Again, no issues here, for years, with multiple factory +2s in multiple mags.

They're around 8-10 bucks each at the factory Glock store, with the inserts, I think.

I also now love the Magpul 21 rounders.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Issues? Again, no issues here, for years, with multiple factory +2s in multiple mags.

They're around 8-10 bucks each at the factory Glock store, with the inserts, I think.

I also now love the Magpul 21 rounders.
    I haven't had an issue with the factory extensions on my 26

I meant more of the aftermarket ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I use a Taran Tactical +5 extension on my reload, and a standard 15rd mag in the gun when carrying concealed. Taking me from 31 total rounds to 36. Easy to conceal, and a 16% increase in available ammo.

While most of my work is "plainclothes," when in full tac gear I have the pistol loaded with TT+5 extended mags, and two reloads with the TT+5 extended mags. Taking me from 46 total rounds to 61 total. That's a 32% increase in available ammo.
    How long have you been using the Taran +5s, and have you had to replace the mag springs in that time?

@Gio noted that they go bad quickly.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Not directed at anyone in particular, but I don’t understand the appeal of extensions anymore. They all seem to have issues (at least last I checked) and the best ones (TTI IIRC) are at least the price of one actual mag, if not two. Magpul has 17, 21, and 27 round magazines now and Glock has 24 rounders, plus the 19X mags that give you a factory option for 19 rounds. Why would anyone spend the money on an extension at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I suspect most people using 140mm extensions, like the Taran baseplates, are using them in USPSA, where having 22 rounds in the mag is a competition issue.

The advantage of a Taran baseplate is that it can be affixed to an OEM magazine, which are the most reliable magazines for a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How long have you been using the Taran +5s, and have you had to replace the mag springs in that time?

@Gio noted that they go bad quickly.
    Unlike regular OEM 17 round magazines, which seem to last nearly forever, especially in 9mm, the longer springs used in 140mm magazines have a finite life, that is a function of load/unload cycles. I have heard different numbers like 150 cycles, but never seen hard data showing testing of that. I do know that the springs in all my wife’s Glock OEM magazines with Taran extensions went soft and started having feeding issues around the same time last spring, causing us to:

1) buy a bunch of replacement springs

2) change all the extended springs out

3) get her to primarily use 17 round magazines for practice and save the 140mm mags for matches

The Taran extension on Glock OEM mags comfortably hold 22 rounds, and when 23 rounds go in, it seems like they are getting ready to stop working properly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I use a two round factory extension on my a Glock 26 because it extends the grip just enough for me to get a full hand grip on the gun. As I mentioned above I carry a 19 magazine as a reload.
    Me too on both counts many days including today.

I carry a 19x magazine as a spare whether I carry a g26 or g19 . Arent more bullets better? Just verify that the gun(s) are reliable with said magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I use a Taran Tactical +5 extension on my reload, and a standard 15rd mag in the gun when carrying concealed. Taking me from 31 total rounds to 36. Easy to conceal, and a 16% increase in available ammo.

While most of my work is "plainclothes," when in full tac gear I have the pistol loaded with TT+5 extended mags, and two reloads with the TT+5 extended mags. Taking me from 46 total rounds to 61 total. That's a 32% increase in available ammo.
    I would ditch the TTI extensions for a duty gun. They are fine for competition but need spring replacements regularly. The springs cannot withstand being fully loaded for days/weeks at a time and will cause malfunctions.

Would it be acceptable to use them for duty if you replaced the springs regularly? And if so, how often would be appropriate?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I don't own a G17 but have many magazines for it. Like others have stated, pinch your finger real hard a few times and I prefer a extended magazine for reload. I think glock has 21 or 22 round oem mags now too, I'd probably get a few of those if they work.

User Tag List