Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Glock 17 Magazines As Reloads For A Glock 19 Worth The Money?

I've recently been using 17 round PMAGs as reloads for my Glock 19s. Pretty pleased so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I've recently been using 17 round PMAGs as reloads for my Glock 19s. Pretty pleased so far.
    I’ve used the PMAGs for about as long as they’ve been available and have always been happy with them. People are weird with mags. One issue from one mag and many will swear off the whole brand, whereas the occasional flaw is expected elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I suspect most people using 140mm extensions, like the Taran baseplates, are using them in USPSA, where having 22 rounds in the mag is a competition issue.
    Interesting, I didn’t even know there were round limits, I thought it was all based off of length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve used the PMAGs for about as long as they’ve been available and have always been happy with them. People are weird with mags. One issue from one mag and many will swear off the whole brand, whereas the occasional flaw is expected elsewhere.
    I have six or eight G19 Pmags that I keep in my range bag that I use for classes and range time. They've taken more of a beating over the last three years than my carry magazines do and I have yet to have an issue with them.

I have a whole bunch of g26 Pmags as well that I've never had a problem with either. And for those that don't like the extensions on a magazine the 12 round Pmag are a solid body with a base plate. Just like any other magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I would ditch the TTI extensions for a duty gun. They are fine for competition but need spring replacements regularly. The springs cannot withstand being fully loaded for days/weeks at a time and will cause malfunctions.
    While not the TTI mags but Dawson Precision extensions, I had one loaded for god knows how long on a 19 mag. Found it the other day when I had stashed it on my manbag sidepocket. Next thing I know, I had 9mm bullet dribbling out or remaining in the mag when I attempted to unload to clean the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Would it be acceptable to use them for duty if you replaced the springs regularly? And if so, how often would be appropriate?
    I wouldn't do it. I replace all my TTI and Dawson extension springs with factory 17 coil springs (33 round mag spring) cut down to about 14.5-15 coils. This gives me much higher spring tension than the ISMI springs the TTI's and Dawson's come with. Even with these springs, I find that I need to replace them after about a year of use, and they are not kept loaded all the time like a duty mag would be. I have also found that factory RSA's tend to outrun these mag springs more so than a reduced power 11-13# spring that most competitive shooters use. You're not going to be running an 11-13# spring on a duty gun, and that 17# spring is going to result in a higher chance of malfunction.

I honestly don't even trust the factory +2 extensions. I've even seen those disassemble frequently when dropped onto concrete. We had one guy in my unit carrying a G26 with the factory +2 extension, and the extension popped off while he was in the middle of interviewing a subject causing all the rounds to fall out of the gun.

I have also found that factory RSA's tend to outrun these mag springs more so than a reduced power 11-13# spring that most competitive shooters use. You're not going to be running an 11-13# spring on a duty gun, and that 17# spring is going to result in a higher chance of malfunction.
    Does this observation include the G19M, which was apparently modified to allow a slower slide cycling speed, allowing weaker mag springs a better chance of "Catching up"?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Does this observation include the G19M, which was apparently modified to allow a slower slide cycling speed, allowing weaker mag springs a better chance of "Catching up"?
    The 19's generally cycle faster than the 17's because they have a stronger recoil spring. The 19M's have the same slide weight and same recoil spring weight as the gen4's, so I don't see this changing.

Overall though, the observation applies to any +5/6 extended mag and not necessarily the gun. I wouldn't use +5/6 on any brand firearm (Sig 320, M&P, etc) for duty use.

How long have you been using the Taran +5s, and have you had to replace the mag springs in that time?

@Gio noted that they go bad quickly.
    I have had them about a year I put 60 rounds through each with no malfunctions. I use each of them once a quarter (so 20 rounds each) at quals, to see if they are still functioning fine. I don't use them for anything else. So each has had 120 rounds total with no malfunctions. Currently plan is to change the springs every two or three years.

I have used the 21 round PMags, but two of mine have had problems, so I've not considered those for duty use.

I honestly don't even trust the factory +2 extensions. I've even seen those disassemble frequently when dropped onto concrete. We had one guy in my unit carrying a G26 with the factory +2 extension, and the extension popped off while he was in the middle of interviewing a subject causing all the rounds to fall out of the gun.
    Very odd. We had Glock 22s and 27s before we switched to the 19s. With the 27 most of us used the 10 round magazine, with the +1/2 extension, rather than the flush fit 9 round mag. They'd get dropped on the concrete frequently, at quals/training. Never heard of anyone having the factory extension fail.

User Tag List