Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: How proficient were the man killers of old?

The excerpt below was taken from Six Years with the Texas Rangers: 1875-1881 by James B. Gillet. I suppose it describes the "Tap,Rack,Bang" of the Old West. At any rate a good anecdote for the value of having your Colt chambered in 44-40.

Name:  IMG_2512.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  65.0 KB
    Last edited by Coal Train; 09-23-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post

I think I read somewhere that Elmer Keith only fired 12 rounds a week through his .44 Mags.
    Bill Hickok fired 12 rounds a day. In order to prevent condensation from causing his black powder and primers to go bad, he would empty his 2 carry revolvers in the morning and freshly load them for the day. That was a lot of ammo to go through for that time period.
    Last edited by Galbraith; 09-23-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    99 cents for Kindle. Thanks for the link, it's on my majick box, now.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    #MeToo
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It's not my favorite book of that period but I would say it is $0.99 well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    Bill Hickok fired 12 rounds a day. In order to prevent condensation from causing his black powder and primers to go bad, he would empty his 2 carry revolvers in the morning and freshly load them for the day. That was a lot of ammo to go through for that time period.
    I wonder if he emptied one, cleaned and reloaded it, then emptied the other, so as never to be caught with two unloaded guns...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I wonder if he emptied one, cleaned and reloaded it, then emptied the other, so as never to be caught with two unloaded guns...
    That's exactly what he was reported to do.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The exact same thought crossed my mind.

Revisiting this thread (and I really enjoyed reading back through the discussions) in light of listening to SC Gynne on the Joe Rogan podcast. Native American archery exploits (Comanche in particular) are nearly as mythical as the Old West gunfighter exploits. Gynne mentioned Lars Andersen and his attempts to recreate Native American and Eurasian Step Horse-archer proficiency.

If Mr. Andersen’s techniques are anywhere close to reality I can see why The Rangers were so very happy to have Col. Colt’s invention.

https://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk

https://youtu.be/2zGnxeSbb3g
    Last edited by Coal Train; 09-10-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Wonder what Durham was shooting that he "flipped the cylinder back in".
    T'warnt no hand ejectors in 1875; mebbe a topbreak.
    I was thinking something like this about the .55 minute mark? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQuKXGOoqUc

User Tag List