Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: How proficient were the man killers of old?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Or, if you just want to try it out, you can buy loaded .45 BP ammo.
    I wish they made that in .38 spl.

I'd totally qualify on those with my 442 just to watch the Rangemaster lose his mind!

I'm actually in it.

I'm the guy in the Springfield armory hat with the shit eating grin.

Took the class in 1995 at the Chapman Academy.

Im reading it right now

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I wish they made that in .38 spl.

I'd totally qualify on those with my 442 just to watch the Rangemaster lose his mind!
    Other than a custom shop, you'd have to load your own, I guess. My google-fu failed to find any .38 Special BP loads. (Goex once made them.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Enough years ago that I don't remember when it was. In the '80s I think but that could go either way. (smile)

Dave

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My google-fu just led me through scanning a bunch of discussion of it. More in .357 cases than .38 SPL, but it's out there. SASS sites seem the likely places.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Nice. Is that the Ranger Museum?

"Pony Up" being code for selling kidney's, right?
    Guns of the Texas Rangers display at the NRA show. I actually bought one of the guns from the display....just not the Walker. They had like 12 or more of them....you ll need a big calculator to figure that out.

Or, if you just want to try it out, you can buy loaded .45 BP ammo.
    I have a couple Snub Single Action custom vaqueros. Had a similar load custom made for my door answering gun. Except it was built to shoot 1000 FPS. The flash and muzzle blast add a new definition to the word epic.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Thanks for the suggestion. Free to read on kindle unlimited so I just grabbed it.

Theres been vast amounts of electrons slain in the discussion of where Colt got their raw parts for the percussion guns. My recollection was that some of the earliest raw forgings may have been italian, Iver Johnson also did some, but Colt did the finish machine work and finishing. Comparing an Uberti and Colt Dragoon side by side, its apparent that they arent identical guns. I believe the Colts also have american threads, also indicating they arent simply assembled italian parts, as some wanted to assert in the past, FWIW.

The Walker gets a lot of attention and discussion, but the Dragoon models were a definite improvement in may ways. Built on the same frame, the cylinder slightly shorter (50 vs 60 gr charge), 7 1/2" barrel, better loading lever latch, and made in far greater numbers, and of course used far more. Still a rather large pistol, but not suffering from the loading lever falling down and not quite a heavy as the Walker. I shot the Uberti I had out in the hills, the echo of the shot sounds like thunder rolling across the face of the mountains. I shot it out to around 75 yards or so, and my impression was that it would be absolutely no problem hitting anything reasonable at that distance, though I was just shooting rocks, not paper. I wouldnt hesitate to try a shot at a rabbit at that distance.

The Colts can be had for far less than the gunbroker link. Its been a while since I looked, but most models seem to be in the $600-$750 range. If you can find a used shooter grade gun, you can probably do better. I foolishly passed on a used Colt 1851 for $225 a few years ago.

I recall reading, and I will try to come back with the reference when I come across it again, that the percussion guns were commonly carried fully loaded. The hammer rested on the back of the cylinder, with Colts a groove in the hammer going over a pin in the cylinder bosses. A direct blow wouldnt cause any mischief. When the Single Action Army became popular, the habit of carrying fully loaded, and in the safety notch, started to be dropped because of unintended discharge if something hit the hammer with enough force. The tip of the trigger or the hammer notch could be chipped or broken, allowing the gun to fire.

Whats a gun discussion without pictures?

Colts 3rd Dragoon

Name:  IMG_1732.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  51.7 KB

User Tag List