Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: How proficient were the man killers of old?

Site Supporter
    When I was at Gunsite, two directors of operations before Taylor, Jeff Cooper told that story and the principle character was Cooper himself. He was then teaching the Guatemalan Presidents body guards. And it was a napkin, not a folded paper covering the gun.

So, who ya' gonna believe? Personally I'll go with Cooper, God rest his soul.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    When I was at Gunsite, two directors of operations before Taylor, Jeff Cooper told that story and the principle character was Cooper himself. He was then teaching the Guatemalan Presidents body guards. And it was a napkin, not a folded paper covering the gun.

So, who ya' gonna believe? Personally I'll go with Cooper, God rest his soul.

Dave

Earlier I wrote:

That scenario or one very much like it is based on the experience of a former director of operations at Gunsite, Chuck Taylor (RIP),
    I didn't bother to go into the minutia and I said Central America. The story as it was relayed to me and others was Taylor had a holstered 1911 and the country was Nicaragua. The truth is out there somewhere. I'm not the judge.

No matter exactly where it took place, or even exactly who was involved, it is a great story and a great scenario for competition / enjoyment.

Ran across this video of a guy trying to recreate Comanche archery and thought of this thread. Thought folks would find the video interesting.

A good reminder why the Texas Rangers really, really liked their Colts.

https://youtu.be/liHlCRpS70k

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Ran across this video of a guy trying to recreate Comanche archery and thought of this thread. Thought folks would find the video interesting.

A good reminder why the Texas Rangers really, really liked their Colts.

https://youtu.be/liHlCRpS70k
    Fascinating. The second part has the Bowmaker testing bows and training.

Perhaps this is the Bow analogue of the difference between bullseye training methods vs IPSC?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Fascinating. The second part has the Bowmaker testing bows and training.

Perhaps this is the Bow analogue of the difference between bullseye training methods vs IPSC?

I was thinking along similar lines, that the ~50 lb bows the Comanche were using would be analogous to a pistol or carbine whearas the ~150 lb war bows used in Europe would be more like a bolt action full power rifle (as far as broad tactics and method of employment). Obviously not a 1:1 comparison, just thinking about relative differences.

I listened to a book about Custer last year. One or two companies not with Custer dug in as best they could to take cover from Sioux gunfire, but the Sioux used indirect fire to rain arrows on the horses and horse holders. No war bows needed, they just used terrain to get in range and let them fly.

ETA-Lars is super cool.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I was thinking along similar lines, that the ~50 lb bows the Comanche were using would be analogous to a pistol or carbine whearas the ~150 lb war bows used in Europe would be more like a bolt action full power rifle (as far as broad tactics and method of employment). Obviously not a 1:1 comparison, just thinking about relative differences.
    Also, the other tribes with whom the Comanches warred with weren't wearing full armor.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Also, the other tribes with whom the Comanches warred with weren't wearing full armor.
    Right, your target of interest certainly makes a difference. Something mission something gear...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Exactly. Won't a 40 lb bow shoot clear through a deer? Plenty for CQB style mankilling and allows volume of fire to be a tactical advantage.

User Tag List