Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: How proficient were the man killers of old?

Wonder what Durham was shooting that he "flipped the cylinder back in".
    T'warnt no hand ejectors in 1875; mebbe a topbreak.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I wondered the same thing. When the Rangers were using Patersons they carried extra cylinders but I doubt (hope) that Durham wasn't carrying a Paterson in 1875. Additionally McNelly comments about giving Durham "shells" which I take to mean cartridges. Earlier in the book they visited the King Ranch and were given new rifles and pistols so I assume he is carrying something contemporary. Perhaps he said "flip the cylinder" but really meant "flip the loading gate?"
    Last edited by Coal Train; 07-18-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    I wondered the same thing. When the Rangers were using Patersons they carried extra cylinders but I doubt (hope) that Durham wasn't carrying a Paterson in 1875. Additionally McNelly comments about giving Durham "shells" which I take to mean cartridges. Earlier in the book they visited the King Ranch and were given new rifles and pistols so I assume he is carrying something contemporary. Perhaps he said "flip the cylinder" but really meant "flip the loading gate?"
    Perhaps some of the “cartridge conversion” type pistols, perhaps including Colts, are loaded by removing the cylinder? Even today, aren’t the mini rimfire single action revolvers reloaded by first removing the cylinder pin, which allows the cylinder to fall free? Returning the loaded cylinder, to its place in the frame, could be termed “flipping.”

These cartridge-conversion weapons were really quite common, back in the day. I imagine it took a while for everyone to “refresh” with 1873 Colts.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-18-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Colt cartridge conversions are gate loaders. Most of the Remingtons were gateless sideloaders except for the one type with two piece cylinder that had to be taken out to reload.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Might just be lingo in the manner of the time.

Ammo was expensive then, 2 bits(25 cents) a round. A lot of cowboys made 30 bucks a month. Ouch.

I’d bet that an editor fucked that up while transcribing the manuscript.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Colt cartridge conversions are gate loaders. Most of the Remingtons were gateless sideloaders except for the one type with two piece cylinder that had to be taken out to reload.

Maybe he saw Clint Eastwood do it in Pale Rider

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Maybe he saw Clint Eastwood do it in Pale Rider
    There was a scene in How The West Was Won(1962) in which Gregory Peck reloaded a revolver by changing cylinders. The scene emphasized what he was doing. I guess to add realism
    Last edited by Cypher; 07-19-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    George Durham only had a (19th century) fourth grade education and lied about his own age in his biography. I wouldn’t fret too much over the details in his story.

Here’s an interesting arcticle on the man I found online.

https://www.valleymorningstar.com/20...cnelly-ranger/

ETA: this isn’t meant as a condemnation, just a reality check.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 07-19-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Deleted/ Double tap.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 07-19-2019 at 04:33 PM.

User Tag List