Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: How proficient were the man killers of old?

Ian McCollum, host of Forgotten Weapons, wrote a great book on French Military weapons titled Chassepot to FAMAS.

Site Supporter
    I worked with the French Army in the late 70s-early 80s, and there were no MAS-36s being used as issued weapons in the units I worked with. There were some with welded-shut bolts being used for training where they didn't want to mess up their -49/56s.

While I was there, one of their AAA units switched from quad 50s on half-tracks to Rolands. Now that was an upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Scattered all over Indochina and Africa. And on the surplus market. I'm not sure what your getting at. They were being used by the French and its former colonial holdings for quite a while as reserve weapons, but France was never able to make the ridiculous quantities of the things that all the other major players of WW2 did, or as they did with the Berthier in WW1, because if the whole conquered by Nazis thing.
    They never had enough to equip their own forces completely before that happened, but then never intended to. The MAS 40 was supposed to be the frontline rifle, a semi-auto, but didnt get finished or produced until after the war, and both it( as the MAS 44 and 49/56) and the 36 until the Famas was adopted.
    So they never had the capability to produce enough rifles for their own military. France isn't a large country, but then neither is Germany or GB. Russia produced their own military small arms. So did Germany and GB. I'm just saying that France wasn't a country that was able to build enough arms to defend itself prior to ww2. Lets face facts. They weren't interested in doing that.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-26-2021 at 09:03 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Also very early developers of the concept of the machine rifle/ light machine gun, with the Chauchat. It wasn't all that great, but it was the most produced machine gun of WW1, and had a big impact.
    My grandfather humped a Chauchat in France for a while. I was very young when I heard him talking about it. I don’t recall specifics but I do remember clearly that he hated it and that the Lewis gun was a slight improvement at best. He liked the BAR quite a bit more.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    My grandfather humped a Chauchat in France for a while. I was very young when I heard him talking about it. I don’t recall specifics but I do remember clearly that he hated it and that the Lewis gun was a slight improvement at best. He liked the BAR quite a bit more.

Okie John
    Some light duty reading awhile back says the Chauchat was decent enough, for the time, in the original French caliber but the US .30-06 version was prone to a variety of feeding related issues and was widely hated. I've seen a couple under glass including at a museum dedicated to Pancho Villa's raid on Columbus, NM so US service predated WW1, and the BAR, by at least a little bit.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Never heard anything against the Lewis gun; "The Belgian Rattlesnake."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Part of the reason France ended up in World War I is that Germany had much more respect for the French army than the Russian army. At the beginning of that war, Russia could easily supply a large number of men, but only a rifle for one out of every three. The other two were told that when the guy next to them dies, they should pick up his rifle and start shooting. Knowing this, as well as who is committed by treaty to defend who, Germany did not have any battle plans that did not involve invading France prior to invading Russia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Never heard anything against the Lewis gun; "The Belgian Rattlesnake."
    I’ve read that it ran well while it had ammo (47 rounds?), but was a stone bitch to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Part of the reason France ended up in World War I is that Germany had much more respect for the French army than the Russian army. At the beginning of that war, Russia could easily supply a large number of men, but only a rifle for one out of every three. The other two were told that when the guy next to them dies, they should pick up his rifle and start shooting. Knowing this, as well as who is committed by treaty to defend who, Germany did not have any battle plans that did not involve invading France prior to invading Russia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reading says a lot of this involved railway schedules. WW1 was the first war with professional General staffs and they were heavily trained in railway logistics. A lot of the driving force ended up being X can transport Y per hour and if we don't act now then X will have Y troops deployed before we go to war leaving us at Z disadvantage. So the transportation calculations pushed for action, now, now, now, in a situation diplomacy should have resolved given time.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

One could also mention that France didn't have the same large export client base for firearms that Germany did before the wars.

The Germans were basically selling Mausers to pretty much every nation of the world before the war began that wasn't part of the British Empire, and would even custom design a nation specific cartridge for your army to boot.

France, as per the old saying, was still under "the French copy nobody, and nobody copies the French".
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List