Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I go about building my own suppressor (Form1)?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Having the parts in a finished state vs 80% state are two VERY different situations.

The whole rationale for the 80% kit is “it’s not soup yet” so you can possess it without legal risk until you have the form 1 in hand allowing you to legally finish the parts.

If you finish the parts from an 80% without a form 1, then yeah you have broken the law and defeated the whole rationale behind the legitimate use of an 80% kit.

It may sound nit picky but referring to 80% parts, which are NOT legally suppressor parts with finished parts that ARE legally suppressor parts contributes to confusion where there should be none.
    I'm unclear where I confused the two. I thought I was clear that I was talking about unfinished (or 80% if you will) parts prior to the completed and approved Form 1.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I'm unclear where I confused the two. I thought I was clear that I was talking about unfinished (or 80% if you will) parts prior to the completed and approved Form 1.

Chris
    You didn’t I mis read your post. Bleed over from the other thread

The best info I have found on these has been at AFCOM and the consensus there is Diversified Machine was the “A” solution. Last time I looked DM had stopped taking orders to catch up on back orders.

There is also a Form 1 suppressor group on Facebook but there is a lot of bad info and III% / “Boogaloo” crap mixed in there as well.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-19-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    You didn’t I mis read your post. Bleed over from the other thread
    No worries. I re-read my post 3x trying to figure out if I typed something different than what I was intending.

Chris

This is where words mean things.

The “parts” you obtain in the 80% kit are not, legally “suppressor parts,” they are unfinished raw materials, hence the 80% qualifier. Until you finish the remaining 20% of Machine operations they are not legally “suppressor parts.”

You don’t finish the other 80% and “make” them into suppressor parts until you have your form 1. Form 1 being an application to “make” an NFA item.

You can have constructive intent to possess an item when the parts you have are, by legal definition, not yet parts of that item.
    Yes they do. So where one may look at various solvent traps, oil filter "kits", and see the makings of a suppressor, those assumptions would be wrong. Since in the eyes of the law they are merely raw materials.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Yes they do. So where one may look at various solvent traps, oil filter "kits", and see the makings of a suppressor, those assumptions would be wrong. Since in the eyes of the law they are merely raw materials.
    Legally, they are merely raw materials until are until they are drilled out.

From a realistic POV, People may want to build a a good quality form 1 suppressor, like from diversified machine’s kits or thy may want a suppressor just good enough work for a year until their factory can’s form 4 is approved.

Dropping $200 on form 1ing and oil filter is impractical as it is a disposable item but until it is drilled out, it’s an oil filter.

Site Supporter
    This is where words mean things.

The “parts” you obtain in the 80% kit are not, legally “suppressor parts,” they are unfinished raw materials, hence the 80% qualifier. Until you finish the remaining 20% of Machine operations they are not legally “suppressor parts.”
    Are they not? A part is legally a "silencer" if it is "any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication." I would never advise someone that they could come into possession of one of those kits before having a completed Form 1.

This isn't legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is expressed or implied by this post.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Are they not? A part is legally a "silencer" if it is "any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication." I would never advise someone that they could come into possession of one of those kits before having a completed Form 1.

This isn't legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is expressed or implied by this post.
    What is the definition of “fabricating” in this context ?

And is it different that the way it is used in other NFA context ?
    Last edited by HCM; 06-19-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    What is the definition of “fabricating” in this context ?

And is it different that the way it is used in other NFA context ?
    It's not defined, and it's not in the NFA. It's in the GCA (codified at 18 USCA S 921). If you just work off the plain meaning of the word, I wouldn't want to possess one of those kits without a completed/approved Form 1.
    Last edited by joshs; 06-19-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Whats the advantage of pursuing this route? Is it much faster than a store bought? Or is it to save money?

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Whats the advantage of pursuing this route? Is it much faster than a store bought? Or is it to save money?
    The form ones are typically approved faster than the form fours.

Why?

No clue.

Instead of waiting ten months for an approved form four, some guys are getting approved forms ones back in a matter of weeks.

Shrug.

User Tag List