Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Underwear Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Frankl View Post
    Hmm i was wanting to toss one of these into my 642 ladysmith, would the additional length be an issue?
    The concern is if you install the 357 cylinder into a 38 gun you would NOT want to shoot any 357 ammo through it.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-20-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Hmm i was wanting to toss one of these into my 642 ladysmith, would the additional length be an issue?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    I do not know if the cylinder is longer, but the 1/10 inch difference in cartridge length is intended to prevent chambering a .357 in a gun that is not designed for the pressure. Putting a .357 cylinder in a .38 gun would remove that safety feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I do not know if the cylinder is longer
    I do not think it is, but will try and measure later.

Gotcha, thanks guys. If you cant tell i grew up on plastic wonder 9s

I do not know if the cylinder is longer, but the 1/10 inch difference in cartridge length is intended to prevent chambering a .357 in a gun that is not designed for the pressure. Putting a .357 cylinder in a .38 gun would remove that safety feature.

Well, the 357 cylinder is dealing with the primary issue with a 38 spl gun. the other factor is the frame. its unlikely the gun would fail catastrophically, but may loosen up quicker than it would otherwise.

Theres been much discussion of the K frame guns and the difference between the 38 and 357s. Its been stated by people with factory connections that at some point in the making of 357s on the K frames, they ended up just using the same steel and heat treatment. The first 357s that became the model 13 were made on model 10-6 frames. I have no idea if the J frames have the same situation, Id first guess no, but, who knows? They do make 357 Js. In any event, a recent 38 cal j frame with an actual 357 cylinder would fire them OK, the question is how long would the frame stay in spec? I wouldnt try it in an alloy J though.

Putting a .357 cylinder in a .38 gun would remove that safety feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I do not think it is, but will try and measure later.
    Gotcha, thanks guys. If you cant tell i grew up on plastic wonder 9s
    I did just measure things, but might better state some things about this whole deal, primarily that nobody, especially me, was talking about doing this with the intent of turning a 38 gun into a 357, but I can see how some might draw this conclusion. 357 cartridges are longer just to prevent them from being used in a 38 gun, and doing this swap would obviously create a situation where that could be done. Some folks have done this to create a lighter combination in 38, knowing that this saves a few ounces and creates some options that the factory either never made or quit making.

That said, I did measure two of mine and confirmed the lengths are the same. But.... big surprise, the Ti cylinder is larger in diameter. It is only a few thousandths, but it is enough that it does not fit well in my new Harry's Icon holster. This was a surprise to me, and it has always fit nicely in my DSG holster.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I did just measure things, but might better state some things about this whole deal, primarily that nobody, especially me, was talking about doing this with the intent of turning a 38 gun into a 357, but I can see how some might draw this conclusion. 357 cartridges are longer just to prevent them from being used in a 38 gun, and doing this swap would obviously create a situation where that could be done. Some folks have done this to create a lighter combination in 38, knowing that this saves a few ounces and creates some options that the factory either never made or quit making.

That said, I did measure two of mine and confirmed the lengths are the same. But.... big surprise, the Ti cylinder is larger in diameter. It is only a few thousandths, but it is enough that it does not fit well in my new Harry's Icon holster. This was a surprise to me, and it has always fit nicely in my DSG holster.
    Yeah i wasn't planning on turning it into a 357 (don't even own any 357 ammo), im just looking to shed some weight.

Yeah i wasn't planning on turning it into a 357 (don't even own any 357 ammo), im just looking to shed some weight.

If you want to shed weight the 43c the OP started the thread with is the way to go.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    If you want to shed weight the 43c the OP started the thread with is the way to go.
    Speaking of the OP, I picked up some speedloaders to keep the 43c noisy.

http://instagram.com/p/By-MdbOABC3/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I actually had one, and regretfully sold it. If i can find a used 340pd ill probably just scoop that up.

User Tag List