Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BRN-180, Brownells revives the AR180

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    The latest from InRange doesn't help matter.....

Site Supporter
    I tried the BRN 180s (10.5”) upper on a known quality lower. I also have a 5.56 suppressor. I ran a few 30 round mags through it on the standard gas setting. It worked fine with no issues during that break in. I then put my can on it, and swapped to the suppressed setting. Once again, worked fine for about 40 rounds. Then it stopped cycling the bolt on the “S” setting with the can. I switched back to the standard gas setting and it would cycle, but with much increased recoil and ejection port noise. I checked for any obvious issues, but couldn’t find any. I was not impressed with it only lasting 40 rounds on the suppressed setting. I took advantage of their return policy and sent it back to Brownells.

I decided to build a standard 10.5” DI upper with a Seekins adjustable gas block. I have been running that setup with great results. I’ve got it adjusted to run suppressed, as I only use this upper with the can. Very minimal gas blow back. The Geiselle charging handle probably helps as well.

Site Supporter
    I'm still waiting on that prototype old-school folder they had attached at SHOT Show. I think B5 was making it.

I had an AR-180 when I was in college, 1978-79, I believe. I actually kept it in my dorm room. I guess that's one of the reasons I got booted out in the middle of the semester 🤔
    I'm nostalgic but not enough to buy another one. My X95 satisfies my piston urge.

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    Jeez, that is tempting.
    #RESIST

Finally, Brownells gets on the .300BO train which has me figuring my next build after I finish the M&P9 I'm working on - will be a BRN-180 to serve as a backup to my Rattler: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod136151.aspx

charging handle looks like it'd catch on stuff , anyone make a replacement? like the one on the b&t looks like a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    charging handle looks like it'd catch on stuff , anyone make a replacement? like the one on the b&t looks like a good idea

These guys have a replacement. Still sticks out pretty far:
    https://ar180parts.com/product/brn-180-charging-handle/

I do wish it was an ~8" barrel, but this is a pretty cool option for the poors. Curious to price out a BRN180 folder pistol vs a rattler. Also convenient that it'll work on your existing SBR AR.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    These guys have a replacement. Still sticks out pretty far:
    https://ar180parts.com/product/brn-180-charging-handle/

I do wish it was an ~8" barrel, but this is a pretty cool option for the poors. Curious to price out a BRN180 folder pistol vs a rattler. Also convenient that it'll work on your existing SBR AR.
    That looks like a good option on charging handle. The old rotating design was well known for breaking (which is why later versions of the AR18 had a straight one like the one linked above).

I have a spare lower sitting here with an LPK in it, so my price is a little low:

Upper is $899
    KNS Precision Stock Adapter for mounting a picatinny stock/brace is $60
    Folding Brace from SB is $200

So I have $1160 not counting the lower and LPK. Even still, a lower, parts kit and ALG trigger won't set you farther back than 300 bucks on the high side. So, let's just call it $1500.

Rattlers are running $22-2500 depending on configuration.

Seems like a solid option for those who want a .300BO option with a folding stock/brace. You could build something cheaper, but it probably won't fire with the stock/brace folded and you won't get an adjustable gas piston. Which, if you're ever going to run suppressed simplifies your life considerably.

User Tag List