Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PF Wordsmiths

PF Wordsmiths

Does anyone know which word denotes the awe and humility felt when encountering someone on a much higher (ability) level than you? It might have been a foreign word - maybe with northern European origins?

I know it seems like an odd question for a gun forum, but members here seem unusually well read...
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-19-2019 at 01:10 AM.

How about ''reverence''?

It presupposes an intrinsic merit and inviolability in the one honored and a similar depth of feeling in the one engaged in the honoring.

Etymology: derived from the Latin reverentia
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 06-19-2019 at 03:02 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

How about "humbled" as in "lowered in dignity and/or importance" or to be "decisively defeated"? It is from Middle English, which is from Old French, which is from Latin humilis ‘low, lowly’, finally, which is from humus ‘ground’.

'Cause I have been there.
    Last edited by farscott; 06-19-2019 at 03:45 AM.

Are you venerated by PF wordsmiths?

Those are in the ballpark, though "humbled" might have a bit more of a negative connotation than the word I'm trying to remember. Maybe if it was combined with firgun?

Duende comes closest that I can remember, and may be the word itself if I learned a slightly different definition.

"Langdon"
    #RESIST

Dulia, or servitus— a theological term which distinguishes the ‘worship ‘ that might be applied to saints and angels (hyperdulia for the Blessed Mother) as opposed to the latria that is given to God alone. Adoration is another, maybe deeper word for worship.

All of this might make you squidgy because we normally use elevated terms like this to refer to at the very least saints. If someone is just il miglior fabbro, as Eliot said, then those words seem hyperbolic.

I am interested to hear from @P30 or @Luger because there is probably a German word for this.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    "Langdon"
    How I met him was that ToddG, myself, and our wives were out for dinner. Todd saw a friend in the lobby, said friend was Ernest Langdon. Todd introduced us and I was...in shock. That was not long after Langdon "tore down the house that 1911s built" by winning against expensive 1911s using a Sig P220 he'd bought at a local gunshop.

Langdon also has other hobbies like running triathlons and winning 3 gun matches. He's one of those genetic marvels and a genuinely good man. I still want a PX4 CC after he generously offered to meet me at the range and let me borrow one of his with a holster for a range session.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I am interested to hear from @P30 or @Luger because there is probably a German word for this.
    I have a feeling there's a German word for everything. They have their own language you know.

Genuflect

verb
    verb: genuflect; 3rd person present: genuflects; past tense: genuflected; past participle: genuflected; gerund or present participle: genuflecting
    lower one's body briefly by bending one knee to the ground, typically in worship or as a sign of respect.
    "she genuflected and crossed herself"
    show deference or servility.
    "politicians had to genuflect to the far left to advance their careers"
    Origin

mid 17th century (in the sense ‘bend (the knee’)): from ecclesiastical Latin genuflectere, from Latin genu ‘knee’ + flectere ‘to bend’.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List