Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: PF Wordsmiths

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Sounds like "overwhelming" ≈ "Überwältigung" to me.

Or how about this?

Even better, the P-F version:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?query=Ehrfurcht

It has both aspects: humility and awe. In a positive way. The adressee has deserved it, he or she did something extremely great. Don't know an English word for it. The word is so strong, probably the only adressee to whom the word fits is God.

Linguee translates it as: reverence, awe, veneration.
    Ehrfurcht is might be it - visually it looks about right and the meaning is in the 10-ring, but it isn't quite ringing the bell in my head. I wonder if there is a related word from Sweden or Norway or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    starstruck adjective
    star·​struck | \ ˈstär-ˌstrək \
    Definition of starstruck
    : particularly taken with celebrities (such as movie stars)
    Pretty much, just less to do with popularity and more to do with merit. And probably with less of a fawning connotation.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-19-2019 at 05:36 PM.

As P30 notes "reverential" might work, and you can replace ‘star’ with several alternatives: "awestruck," "wonderstruck," and my favorite, "shitmodstruck."

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I wonder if there is a related word from Sweden or Norway or something.
    I don't speak these languages. But I've looked it up:

In Swedish, it's

and in Norwegian

The Norwegian word looks similar to the German. For both words, you can click on the speaker symbol and listen how it sounds.
    Last edited by P30; 06-19-2019 at 05:57 PM.

No, no, the German verb "treten" means the same as "to kick". And the noun "Tritt" means the kick.

We don't have a short word for "glove". We call it "Handschuh" which means: A shoe for the hand. We often construct words out of two or more other words. Sometimes it's cool because it's self-explanatory. But sometimes the words become too long and hard to read (I think, then the structure should be made explicit by hyphens).
    That is really interesting. I wonder why she didn't know that word? She's born and raised in Germany, had only been in the states for a handful of years. Is working on dual citizenship and traveling the country as a semi- pro golfer (she stayed with us for a week cuz some mutual friends asked if she could while playing a tournament local to us).

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    That is really interesting. I wonder why she didn't know that word?
    A man finds a bottle. Bang - a genie comes out! "You have one wish", he says.

The man says: "Cool, I would like to have a beautyful, lonesome island. But I'm frightened on airplanes and get seasick on ships. So there must be an autobahn leading to this island."

The genie replies: "I have a beautyful, lonesome island. But it's 500 miles away from the mainland. Building an autobahn, which leads to this island, is impossible even for me. Do you have another wish?"

The man: "Then explain to me how the women think!"

Genie says: "No problem! How do want your autobahn? 4 or 6 lanes?"
    Last edited by P30; 06-20-2019 at 04:59 AM.

Here is another name that I remember I've forgotten:

It is what you call it when something gets stronger the more you fight against it. I think it is 2-words, definitely has an english Wikipedia entry, might be based on something some ancient philosopher said.

PS: Is there a name for when you know you've forgotten something, but can't remember what?

Does anyone know which word denotes the awe and humility felt when encountering someone on a much higher (ability) level than you? It might have been a foreign word - maybe with northern European origins?
    Perhaps adoration?
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

PS: Is there a name for when you know you've forgotten something, but can't remember what?
    I believe that's called a "senior moment".
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Yes, I should have said I bet they have a really accurate word for this. As the Inuit have 31 words for snow, the Germans have 52 for craftsmanship.
    But there is no word in German for "fluffy".
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List