Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best J Frame for Pocket Carry

340PD...

I've pocket carried exclusively for more than a decade and for me lightest is best...I've tried at least 15 different weapons and came full circle back to j frames. All day every day a 340PD is the bee's knees if you ask me.

One day I'll get a 340 PD. Definitely the baddest ass j-frame.

But the PD front sight is easy to duplicate, just for everyone's info. Their lead time is fairly long, but Tooltech in Michigan has put tritium front sights in many fixed sight smith and Wesson revolvers for me. They do the milling and pinning the same as the factory pinned front sight.

They'll do anything you want, in any height or style. I get partridge style sights with a white dot and tritium inserts put in. They will also put a different height sight in if you want to zero the gun differently. They can also (very slightly) offset the sight to correct a windage issue. As these guns have such short sight radiuses, it doesn't take much.

Last I checked they got $215 to mill and install a tritium front sight on an SW revolver, in whatever height and style you want. All my carry guns have them and they all shoot precisely to point of aim at 25 yards (this requires shooting the gun carefully at 25 yards, then telling them what correction you need).

Just my 2 cents...though I still want a 340PD.

I carried a Model 38 for many years and have come to appreciate the 642 due to not having the hammer area as a lint collector.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    I've pocket carried exclusively for more than a decade and for me lightest is best...I've tried at least 15 different weapons and came full circle back to j frames. All day every day a 340PD is the bee's knees if you ask me.
    Or maybe the Cat's Pajamas.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I prefer the M49, M38, or M649 for pocket carry.
    Usually carry the M38 these days but pocket carried an M649 for many years.

Have thought about getting something else but had a Charter and a Colt Cobra
    and got rid of both in favor of the M49 series.

Anybody ever use an i frame for pocket carry? I thinking bob the hammer and throw a grip adapter on I would have a really nice little pocket gun.
    Thoughts?

Some additional good info in this thread from a few months ago on J frames for pocket carry...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....3-J-for-pocket

i spent a goodly amount of time pondering a snubby and got some good counsel to boot. the upshot was purchasing a 642 centennial (no key lock, $340) and have been Extremely pleased with it. i did a writeup on this board in another thread, but essentially i modded a hogue 60020 mono grip, installed wilson springs, did some frame honing, painted the front sight white and the rear sight black. i did some handload testing and have a pair of loads that should get the job done. i shoot it almost every week, it's actually a fun range gun (at least for me). i think an internal hammer lightweight snubby is arguably the better, if not best citizen EDC CQB CCW for self defense. thinking about entering a firefight with it alone? hell no. ymmv.

User Tag List