Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Reloading

Site Supporter
    Reloading is not an inexpensive hobby. If you really want to save money, you have to buy in bulk. If reloading funds are limited, you might be better off with commercial ammo, like the Brown Bear you mentioned.

At 600 rounds a month, I'd consider you just at the edge of making it worth it. If I were you I'd save for another couple months and see if you can't find a Square Deal B or 550 used. They're all over the place on the used market and Dillon stands behind them really well so even if you do have problems they'll probably take care of them.

BTW - I don't know anybody that started reloading and saved money - you just get to shoot more for the same amount.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post

BTW - I don't know anybody that started reloading and saved money - you just get to shoot more for the same amount.
    Thats what I figured would happen. The kids have already shot 2000 rounds of .22 this year. If ever get interested in centerfire that round count will go way up.

I enjoy reloading as a hobby. I can build loads to my specs. If, for example, I want to turn out some nice light powder puff 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads, I can do that. The fact that it saves me a few $$$ along the way is just icing on the cake. I enjoy the DIY aspect of reloading as well. It satisfies that male urge to build stuff.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    At 600 rounds a month, I'd consider you just at the edge of making it worth it. If I were you I'd save for another couple months and see if you can't find a Square Deal B or 550 used. They're all over the place on the used market and Dillon stands behind them really well so even if you do have problems they'll probably take care of them.

Used Market?? Where do you look for these at?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Used Market?? Where do you look for these at?
    eBay, Craigs List, and reloading forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    eBay, Craigs List, and reloading forums.

Seems shady, I mean the way people talk, the only reason someone with a functioning Dillon would be selling would be to get a better Dillon.Not a big selection of used presses me thinks.

I am trying to reload to shoot more. I figure I need to have a 1-1 of rounds in comp/rounds in practice to not suck.Maybe I'll wait till I'm not in a apartment,or atleast a bigger one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
    Seems shady, I mean the way people talk, the only reason someone with a functioning Dillon would be selling would be to get a better Dillon.
    People die, get divorced, lose interest in shooting, stop shooting for health reasons .... the list goes on and on.

Are there a ton? No, but good deals can be found.

I would take a used Dillon over something like the Lee or a turret in a heartbeat.

A 550 isn't that expensive compared to other shooting investments and it is very versatile. It is also easy to learn how to use and make any necessary adjustments to the reloading processes. At 600 rounds per month on a turret using the 150 rph figure we are talking about 48 hours per year. I can crank out pistol rounds on the 550 at about 450-500 rph (its hard to gauge exactly because I don't need to load for more than 30 minutes at a time). Call it 450, and that is 16 hrs loading per year. 32 hours of savings, even at minimum wage that is around 230 dollars. That should make up the difference between a new Dillon and the equipment needed for a turret press setup. Dillon's warranty means you will be able to use it for many years. Less risk and frustration too!

I think that most people who say good things about the Lee probably haven't used a Dillon. I don't mind lee dies, or lee bullet molds, but the progressives are terrible. I bought a Pro 1000 to load 45 and after running a single stage for pistol ammo. I am a bit of a gearhead, I have rebuilt LT1 V8s and other motors, transmissions, sport bikes, etc. It took me 8 hours to get the press running right. After that it took constant tweaking and care to ensure everything stayed operational. I still have a few bags of screwed up reloads from that press. I just accepted that it was finicky, and took a lot of love to keep it running (kinda like my Kimber, but without any of the desirable qualities of the 1911) and thought it was great, and said so on forums. I was wrong! I bought a Dillon so I could load rifle, and the Lee went into a box. It has never seen daylight again.

The Dillon is very simple and Glock-like. Yes, they do have parts that can break. The warranty takes care of that very quickly though. What I love most is it just keeps running and running. I haven't had to fiddle, jiggle, tap, or tug anything to get the press to perform all of its operations. It doesn't auto index but I find it is faster than the pro 1000 (which is auto indexing, has a case feeder, and I added the optional bullet feeder).

It might sound like I am chugging the Dillon koolaid, but if I am it is reluctantly. I tried to get the Lee to work. When it was running I had some perverse sense of satisfaction that I was making reloads on my cheap press "just as good" as those overzealous credit card wielding Dillon users. As expensive as components are these days running the Lee and trashing primers and cases is false economy. I don't mind Lee molds or pistol dies. My bench has blue, green, and red gear on it that are all good products. If it works it works. The Pro 1000 doesn't. There are plenty of sites that show modifications, tips and tricks for setting them up and keeping them running. I would rather make ammo than play press doctor.
    Last edited by Mike R; 04-07-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Sorry for the novel, guess I have some unresolved feelings towards the Lee in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
    Seems shady, I mean the way people talk, the only reason someone with a functioning Dillon would be selling would be to get a better Dillon.Not a big selection of used presses me thinks.

I am trying to reload to shoot more. I figure I need to have a 1-1 of rounds in comp/rounds in practice to not suck.Maybe I'll wait till I'm not in a apartment,or atleast a bigger one.
    There are a lot of people that decide to go from a Square Deal B to a 550 to a 650 to 1050 -- or decide they don't want to reload anymore, or lose their job and need cash or whatever. They are definatly out there, check out the classifieds at Brian Enos or your local shooting forum. It's just like anything else, people have them and then they sell them. I don't know why that would be any more shady than a used pistol or car or washing machine.

User Tag List