Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading

I load 9 on a square deal B - about $120/ 1000
    I got a good deal on the square deal B, and it does everything I need in a small footprint. However, if I was buying new I'd probably go 550

Titegroup
    Berrys 124 gr
    CCI or Winchester primers (based on price and availability)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Thats a good price. I probably won't be cranking out caseloads however. If I set my goal for 3-4000 a year that would probably be the max.
    I would like to be able to have the option of inexpensively shooting 124 or 147 for practice.
    For loading only handgun rounds and at that quantity, the Dillon SDB would serve you well.

Or the XL650 for about twice the $$$ but almost 2x the output potential.

The 1050 is a great loader but that's a serious machine for serious amounts of production. (and a price tag to match.)
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Another vote for the Dillon, specifically the 550. I have a 450 that has been upgraded with the 550 features. Awesome press extremely versatile and their no BS guarantee is the real deal. I got mine used 25 years ago and it's still cranking out the rounds.

My current 9mm loading is running approx $113 per 1000.

Bullseye Powder
    Tula Primers
    Bayou Bullets slugs.

Make sure you buy in bulk for powder & primers, spreads that nasty Haz MAt charge for shipping. I find a minimum of 5000 primers or 8 lbs of powder brings it down to a reasonable level.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Site Supporter
    I'm reloading on a 550. If I had more ceiling height over my bench I'd buy a 650 in a heart beat. The case feeder and a fifth station to add a powder check die would make the price worth it for me.

A note on buying components, some companies won't package powder and primers together; resulting in two Hazmat fees. Get your friends or fellow club members to go into orders together to get bulk discounts and spread shipping charges around.

Thanks for all the info!!! Most helpful.

I really like my Dillon 550 that I bought used seven years ago. I got a good deal on it and I use it to crank out 45 ACP. If I were to buy another press, I'd lean towards a 650. It would be nice to have a 650 for high pistol round production and a 550 to load rifle on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    If I set my goal for 3-4000 a year that would probably be the max.
    I would probably opt for the cheaper solution, the 550.

With a roundcount that low, the cost savings over blazer aluminum might not be worth the start up costs and continued reloading time to me. Of course you might end up shooting a lot more, in which case getting into reloading is probably a good idea.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I run a Dillon 550. Personally I believe the Dillon is the flagship of progressive reloading machines. They are solidly built; hold their value; and easy to use.

I often see folks mention lack of time as a reason to not reload. It takes me about 15 minutes to do 100 rounds. To me it's fun and my set-up is in the garage so I'll crank a few bullets a couple times a week.

For .45 I've cut the cost substantially over buying factory. I run 3.8 clays and a 230g moly from www.precisionbullets.com I could go a little cheaper on the bullet but I like the performance. In all I shoot an extremely accurate bullet (recent competition 1 shot/1 fall on small poppers at 45 yards); and combination that is very clean, and provides the recoil impulse I prefer...while still shooting full power USPSA major loads. And my cost is 16cents a shot; $8 per 50; $160 per 1k.

I just started 9mm and I'll run 3.7g of WSF and a 147g bullet. The cost will come out to less than 12 cents a shot; $6 a box of 50; $120 per 1k case.

In all I shoot way more throughout year then I ever did and don't feel like I'm slinging quarters and 50cent pieces every time I pull the trigger.

Reloading can be intimidating and seem like there's alot to know but really it's not that difficult. The information is readily available on the web; books, etc. Good luck. www.brianenos.com/forums has a lot of good reloading information.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 04-05-2012 at 04:12 PM.

I started with a single stage, suffered with a Lee Pro 1000 (which will work, it is just a royal pain in the neck), and reached nirvana with the Dillon 550b. I loved it so much I bought a second one for cartridges with small primers. I also started casting .45 and .38, if you have a source for free lead costs are extremely low. I reload .45 for around 4-4.50 per hundred, and .38 for a similar cost. If my bullets are cast and lubed I can load a batch of 100 in about 15 minutes.

Reloading benefits vary by caliber. While you may not save as much money loading 9 as .45 you are still saving money (or shooting more). Plus people are pretty loose with 9mm brass, I scored over 600 pieces of 1x fired 9mm from a group of guys who don't reload last Saturday. You also have greater flexibility.

My second Dillon was purchased with 4 toolheads, 1 shellplate, 3 powder measures, .45, 9mm, and .308 dies for 300 bucks. It wasn't adjusted and running right, but 15 minutes and a bit of polish later I was good to go. If you shoot any rifles I would say the 550 is an excellent choice. A 650 might be better if you only load for 1 caliber, but I load 7 calibers and I can switch to any of them in about 5 minutes.

User Tag List