Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reloading

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Used Market?? Where do you look for these at?
    Keep you eyes open. I picked up mine on a private e-mail list for Gunsite Grads. I ran the 550 I bought for 4-5 years and then sent it back to Dillon to be rehabbed. IIRC, I paid $500 for the 550 with dyes, tumbler, separator, bullet pullet, etc., etc....

At the urging of a shooting buddy I bought a used Dillon SQB at a gun show in 1996. Best shooting investment I ever made, still using it. I don't see how a Dillon can lose it's value. If something breaks, they fix it. There are very few original parts left on mine and I never paid a dime for any of them.

For about $700 you can have a square deal B set up for 9mm, tumbler, scale calipers and whatever you need, new. You may get tired of the square deal B, or branch out into other calibers. If you do you can sell it, Dillon raises prices every year. In 5 years you might sell it for what you paid.

For 10K rounds:

Cheap 9mm seems to be about $200 per case so $2000.

To reload premium ammo:

$975 for 11,250 montana 124gr JHP
    $115 for 8lbs solo 1000
    $260 for 10K CCI primers
    $60 shipping
    $700 dillon

equals $2110.

That's assuming you've been saving some brass. So 10K rounds you are about even. You have 1250 bullets left and plenty of powder, so for about $30 you can have another case. Your equipment is paid for and the next 10K rounds is $1400 vs $2K. You can also load a lot cheaper if you want. You could cut $300 if you could shoot lead.

The square deal B isn't the greatest, but it's a fast progressive press for pretty cheap. You may outgrow it and upgrade but if you use for a year or two you'll be more than even.

It is also a lot cheaper and easier to stockpile components than ammo, and when people are crying about no ammo on the shelf for whatever reason you can be at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    For about $700 you can have a square deal B set up for 9mm, tumbler, scale calipers and whatever you need, new. You may get tired of the square deal B, or branch out into other calibers. If you do you can sell it, Dillon raises prices every year. In 5 years you might sell it for what you paid.

For 10K rounds:

Cheap 9mm seems to be about $200 per case so $2000.

To reload premium ammo:

$975 for 11,250 montana 124gr JHP
    $115 for 8lbs solo 1000
    $260 for 10K CCI primers
    $60 shipping
    $700 dillon

equals $2110.

That's assuming you've been saving some brass. So 10K rounds you are about even. You have 1250 bullets left and plenty of powder, so for about $30 you can have another case. Your equipment is paid for and the next 10K rounds is $1400 vs $2K. You can also load a lot cheaper if you want. You could cut $300 if you could shoot lead.

The square deal B isn't the greatest, but it's a fast progressive press for pretty cheap. You may outgrow it and upgrade but if you use for a year or two you'll be more than even.

It is also a lot cheaper and easier to stockpile components than ammo, and when people are crying about no ammo on the shelf for whatever reason you can be at the range.

Here’s what I came up with making what I would consider quality ammunition.

To make 1k rounds:

11$ Powder (WSF) (a little more than a penny per round @ 3.7g per round)
    80$ 1000k Precision 147g bullets (shipping included)
    27$ 1000 CCI SPP
    Brass, free

$118 per thousand
    5.90 per 50
    11.8 cents per shot.

$900; Dillon 550 BNIB + case prep tools and equipment (tumbler, media, etc) + scales, calipers, + every single thing one needs to load.

10k rounds = 1180 +900 = 2080.

The components I listed I would consider top notch. Depending on how much you shoot depends how much you'll benefit from reloading. If you shoot .45; you'll break even and save after your first couple thousand rounds. 9mm may take you a little longer. If you only shoot a few hundred a year; unless you want to make reloading a hobby and part of the fun all by itself-forget about it. If you practice a couple times a month; regularly compete there are some advantages to reloading.

If the cost savings aren't enough you can really save by using Tula primers, lighter/cheaper bullets, and less expensive powder. A quick search and math using Tula primers, bulk purchase of powder, and 115g cast bullets one could load 1k 9mm for $88!

User Tag List