Thread: Sheriff Jim Wilson: Speed Holstering - Why It's a Bad Idea

Sheriff Jim Wilson: Speed Holstering - Why It's a Bad Idea

Whether or not a defensive shooter has had to fire a shot during an encounter, he or she should only put a pistol away when the action is over and the world is once again quiet and peaceful. Defensive shooters should re-holster slowly, making sure that their trigger finger is out of the trigger guard and alongside the pistol’s frame.
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ts-a-bad-idea/

Site Supporter
    Didn't read the article, but living in an active shooter world with CCW, speed bolstering may be a bad thing but quick holstering to make sure you hands are empty when the meat eaters roll in may in fact be vital. Depending on which active shooter you are, the initiator or the closer...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Didn't read the article, but living in an active shooter world with CCW, speed bolstering may be a bad thing but quick holstering to make sure you hands are empty when the meat eaters roll in may in fact be vital. Depending on which active shooter you are, the initiator or the closer...

pat
    In that scenario, your holster is the floor.

Additional note- Mr Bolke made a point not long ago that DAO pistols are a good choice for the “casual gun owner”; the aftermath of a defensive incident will be a psychologically stressful experience. There may be injured folks about who need medical attention, or just pure chaos at the scene. Not a good time for carefully holstering a feather trigger pistol.A handgun which can merely be holstered with no further action is a net positive in this circumstance.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 06-19-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    A good reason to carry a gun that is drop safe too.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    In that scenario, your holster is the floor.

Additional note- Mr Bolke made a point not long ago that DAO pistols are a good choice for the “casual gun owner”; the aftermath of a defensive incident will be a psychologically stressful experience. There may be injured folks about who need medical attention, or just pure chaos at the scene. Not a good time for carefully holstering a feather trigger pistol.A handgun which can merely be holstered with no further action is a net positive in this circumstance.
    I have three DAO pistols that are 3 lb or lesser. One is just under 2 lb...

As an RO at matches, speed / slam holstering drives me nuts.

A few years ago one guy shot himself on holstering, and the bullet went through his thigh, calf, and foot. The first two holes were fairly superficial. The foot was quite serious.

It’s not just gamers who do it. I’ve asked LEOs to holster slower and with less force also. I think it’s a habit that comes from using duty holsters with retention.

A few people have actually missed their holster altogether, and had to go for a second try.

I wish there were rules for safe holstering that included slow and gentle insertion, but I’m not sure how those would be written.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    In that scenario, your holster is the floor..
    I used to think that, too. Current tactics dictate that if the bad guy can be shot stealthily from outside the room, before fhey know the rescuers are there, and without warning they will be. If you are challenged, absofreakin'lootly drop it like it is on fire.

When I teach civilian active shooter response with a CCW module, I teach that after engaging to evacuate or shelter in place with cover iand a view of the bad guy, if possible, and holster up. Dropping the gun leaves one more gun floating around for someone to grab; either the bad man, an accomplice bad man, or another well meaning witness or victim. If you look like a duck you may be shot for impersonating a duck during duck season.

If I am coming into an active shooter scenario I am looking for someone with a gun. I am amped up and watching a career of training boiling down to one moment of shooting, and tactics. Paul Howe writes of a preference for being in a shooting rather than a gunfight.

But, like another thread, as you and Clusterfrack point out, holstering fast can be very dangerous under stress, but taking your time and holstering quickly, without forgetting to decock or apply safe, without having your finger inside the trigger guard, without flagging yourself, can be necessary. Transitioning from guns to hands on like cops have to do is a higher stress version of the same skill.

pat

When thinking about reholstering post-DGU I really like "sooner" and "promptly" with associated conditions, rather than a speed-related descriptor.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I wish there were rules for safe holstering that included slow and gentle insertion, but I’m not sure how those would be written.
    "Return your gun to its holster as if you were making love to your bride for the first time".

The ones that still manage to shoot themselves will probably need other forms of counseling as well...

Chris

User Tag List