Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Ruger Mark Pistol Fans Here?

My first handgun was a MkII that I bought new in the mid 80s. I've since picked up a couple of the MkII 22/45s, and the one I use the most now has a TacSol upper and a Micro Aimpoint.

I love my 22/45 MKIV Tactical!

I bought it a few months ago to work on my precision shooting. Ive been doing a lot of 25yd B8s and am gradually moving a 12" steel plate out as my skills evolve. So far I have gotten 10/10 hits at 75yds and still need to improve to match that at 100yds.

Shooting from sandbags I got 9/10 CCI Mini Mags in a 4.5" group.... at 100yds

After the first couple hundred rounds I have gotten excellent reliability, especially considering I shoot mostly Remington bulk which I just happen to have a ton of. I never experienced the magazine issues I read about online, nor any other issues. I also have a couple thousand (guessing) dryfires and no issues there.

As far as cons l will say the pistol is very top heavy, the dot (Primary Arms Micro clone) sits realllly high, and I dislike the well-defined break point of the trigger compared to my CZ SP01's rolling break. Also the safety is all mush and the slide release feels weird, I hope for the MKV they improve those two areas.

Site Supporter
    I have a MKII with a 5-1/2" bull barrel. It was an honest <2"@50 yards gun when my eyes could see that well. I shot it in both Conventional Pistol and UIT Sport Pistol for several years. It has a trigger job from Clark's and a Clark rear sight and I had Hoffman make a set of custom grips for it when I was in Germany in the mid-80s (it was the first MKII he'd seen). Otherwise, it's stock.

I had a couple in the 70s as a kid. One was the 5 1/2" bull barrel, the other was the 6 7/8" tapered heavy barrel. Both were extremely good shooters. Hitting a 22 50 rd cardboard cartridge box at 50 yards wasnt a problem.

The MkII 6 7/8" I now have is also a very good shooter, but I havent messed with checking other ammo to find a best load, its way good enough for plinking in the mean time. What little ive shot it for groups indicates its very good with bulk ammo so far.

The disassembly/reassembly seems to be an issue for may. I didnt have much trouble after getting them opened up a few times. One quirk Ruger forgets to tell people, the hammer has to be dropped, and the strut laying in the forward edge of the mainspring pocket when putting the mainspring housing back in. After the upper is put on the grip frame and the bolt inserted, the gun needs to be rolled upside down then muzzle down with the trigger pulled, thn check to be sure the hammer is down and the mainspring strut is in correct position to fit in the housing. Someone I knew online told me they couldnt get their gun back together. We talked on the phone, I walked him through it, having not taken one apart in maybe 25 years, and his went together easily. It aint that hard once the hammer thing is understood.

I used a triangular ceramic stone to deburr all the nasty rough edges Ruger leaves when they tear the parts out of a sheet of steel with a punch press. It makes the function of the mainspring housing and lever very easy to operate. Very nice now, not just tolerable.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-19-2019 at 08:48 PM.

User Tag List