Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just found box of 1000 rounds at the door. Trueshotgunclub not so much communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Go for 250 rounds per week....

Not 250 rounds per day.

More gains to had at that pace imo.
    Out of curiosity Duke, is 250/week about your current pace?
    Last edited by ArgentFix; 06-19-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    It's amazing that 1/3rd of a gram has that much power.

Btw, what's the ratio of powder vs primer?
    Probably 1\10th of powder?
    Not even that.

I remember reading somewhere (long ago) that the mass of the primary explosive itself minus binding agents (usu. lead styphnate combined with lead peroxide) contained within a primer is on the order of just a few tens of milligrams; 10 - 25 milligrams depending upon application. Same goes for the compound used in non-toxic primers DDNP (diazodinitrophenol). So, at most, we are talking about an individual pellet mass of about 1/6th to 1/3rd of a grain?

For a case of ammunition containing 1,000 rounds, assuming the maximum explosive composition mass of 25 mg, there would be about 2.5 grams in the whole case lot. That's just less than a tenth of an ounce total (per 1,000 rounds) versus the total mass of 370 grams meaning that there's about 367.5 grams of propellant (give or take a gram) in the entire case of ammunition. In this case the primary explosive compound makes up a paltry 0.7% of the total explosive mass.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 06-19-2019 at 03:45 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Btw, on the box, it mentions net explosive quantity .37 kg so each round has only 0.37 grams?
    I guess that's the primer or is it for both primer and powder?

.37kg on its own would be a bomb then.
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Seems about right. So, 0.37 grams would be 5.7 grains of propellant (if primer compound is not part of that weight).
    .37kg is 370g.

https://www.convertunits.com/from/kg/to/g

My guess is that it's a Euro hazmat labeling thing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

There is no federal law requiring ammo to have a signature upon delivery. If you order from SGAmmo.com, you have the option of adding signature confirmation as well as insuring the full amount of the order.
    UPS leaves ammo at my house all the time. Fortunately it’s semi-rural and not likely to be bothered/walk off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Out of curiosity Duke, is 250/week about your current pace?
    Sometimes not even that many.

I used to do 1-2k per week. For me it quickly became noise not improvement.

If I’ve got something I want to sharpen I’ll do maybe 100 rounds day for 3 days in a row. If I’m just trying to make sure I know which end is the flashy one I can get by with 50 rounds a week

I do have my own range though and can shoot anytime I want so the pressure of trying to squeeze something into a schedule isn’t there

We do get a lot of trigger time on varmints though so maybe that’s cheating

User Tag List