Thread: Things I love: Competency Edition

Things I love: Competency Edition

Late last year, I took a few of my hand made shirts to a dry cleaner I’ve used for four years here in Chi. I admit, I had some reticence, when I noted the “Under New Management” sign out front. But I went ahead and trusted the cleaner, because of the history together. Big mistake.

Two shirts came back laundered (not dry cleaned) and two had been stained and damaged by the cleaner, to the point of ruination. I only noticed it when I got home (lesson for folks inspect everything at pick up). The cleaner refused to acknowledge the problem and told me to pound sand.

PISSED, I stowed the two ruined shirts, as a reminder to trust my instincts and in some vain hope that I could find a good cleaner to undo the damage done. Or at least use the shirts as patterns for replacements.

I’m headed to a conference this weekend and needed to take a couple of shirts to get cleaned. So I found a highly rated cleaner and took the shirts I needed cleaned and on the off chance they could, I took the ruined shirts.

The woman took one look at my ruined shirts and was clearly disgusted that another cleaner had done that. In my experience, when someone shakes their head at another’s incompetency, it’s because they have made a living fixing stupidity. She looked them over and didn’t promise anything than to attempt to repair them. So, I didn’t get my hopes up.

I picked up the shirts an hour ago, both of my ruined shirts have been de-stained, repaired, and carefully inspected. I got my shirts back! A perfect exemplification of competency and doing your best, not promising miracles, but delivering beyond expectation. I love competency. Especially when it saves two hand made shirts to the tune of about 300 bucks.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-18-2019 at 01:36 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Can you recommend any building or HVAC contractors or handymen in the NW Houston area?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Can you recommend any building or HVAC contractors or handymen in the NW Houston area?
    Wish I could, never worked that far south. I'll reach out to a buddy of mine from that area, but I think his family was pretty DIY.

How complex is the problem? (I.e., new system needed or just a repair needed).

User Tag List