Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Row Car Based SUV/Crossover

Hammertime
    Thanks so much for that!

Trannys seem to be a Honda weak point.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    No. We only drove the 9 speed today and I don’t know how much one can learn on a short test drive. I did like the bitchen paddle shifters but disliked the engine off at stoplight feature that the 9 speed has the the 6 speed doesn’t.

Plus, we don’t have a car under 11 years old so anything is going to drive amazing.
    Engine off is easy to turn off (generally, not really familiar with Honda). I would drive both and ask if you can do a few miles on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a 2014 Highlander - same generation. We loved it. 90k miles, nothing malfunctioned or rattled. If I had my way, we would have kept it until it died.

I'm a big fan of Subarus, had a recent Impreza and have a '16 WRX. I wouldn't buy a Subaru over a Toyota but for a need for better AWD.

We've had Hondas, too. Never a Pilot. I don't think you can go wrong with a Pilot, but I liked the Highlander better.

I went from a 2014 Honda CRV which we really liked, to the Subaru. The CRV got T-boned lightly and insurance totaled it. No injuries or airbag deployment and the other car didn't even appear to have more than paint damage. We decided to step down in size.

What I found in my research is that Nissan has more experience with CVT transmissions and also seems to have the crappiest track record with them. That was unfortunate because the Nissan Rogue we looked at was very nice in the interior, probably the nicest of the bunch. However the driving ergos weren't very good, bad blind spot and sloped hood made it hard to see what's in front up close.

Honda HRV was a top contender.

Toyota C-HR was also a definite like and would have been a sale, but it was a no-go due to being a brand new rollout.

Since buying the Crosstrek, I've found the Subaru engineers don't play around. They really like oil volume in that boxer engine and they put serious oil pumps in them. As a result they also spec a 27PSI oil filter bypass valve. On a cold start they have the PCM running the engine at 2000 RPM for about the first 30 seconds to a minute even if it's 90 degrees outside then it starts head down to a normal idle speed slowly. That oil filter spec starts to make sense with that in mind. Most manufacturers worship at the altar of global warming and CAFE compliance. I like that Subaru goes their own way. Sure they spec a 0W20 oil, but they pump the shit out of it, 0.0000001 MPG per year MPG decrease be damned. I like that.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 06-18-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    disliked the engine off at stoplight feature that the 9 speed has the the 6 speed doesn’t.
    Stop/start saves a lot of gas. I first had it in a ‘14 Volvo; it took two days to get used to. I expect it to be a standard feature on most cars fairly soon.
    Ignore Alien Orders

When it comes to all wheel drive there is Subaru and then everything else......

Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    I wanted to buy a Subaru! A forester XT was a top pick. The CVT killed it (for me, at least). I am surprised they lack a performance SUV.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    I have never regretted buying my Subie (2016 Outback Limited) once in the last 3 1/2 years I've had it. In full scale rocky mountain blizzards I stand toe to toe with 4x4 pickup trucks. After 11 years driving a FWD Honda Accord (also a great car for what it was) it's a totally different class of rugged in bad weather.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 06-18-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Engine off is easy to turn off (generally, not really familiar with Honda). I would drive both and ask if you can do a few miles on the highway.

In the case of the Pilot, it’s not. Or, it wasn’t the last time I tried finding a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I went from a 2014 Honda CRV which we really liked, to the Subaru. The CRV got T-boned lightly and insurance totaled it. No injuries or airbag deployment and the other car didn't even appear to have more than paint damage. We decided to step down in size.

What I found in my research is that Nissan has more experience with CVT transmissions and also seems to have the crappiest track record with them. That was unfortunate because the Nissan Rogue we looked at was very nice in the interior, probably the nicest of the bunch. However the driving ergos weren't very good, bad blind spot and sloped hood made it hard to see what's in front up close.

Honda HRV was a top contender.

Toyota C-HR was also a definite like and would have been a sale, but it was a no-go due to being a brand new rollout.

Since buying the Crosstrek, I've found the Subaru engineers don't play around. They really like oil volume in that boxer engine and they put serious oil pumps in them. As a result they also spec a 27PSI oil filter bypass valve. On a cold start they have the PCM running the engine at 2000 RPM for about the first 30 seconds to a minute even if it's 90 degrees outside then it starts head down to a normal idle speed slowly. That oil filter spec starts to make sense with that in mind. Most manufacturers worship at the altar of global warming and CAFE compliance. I like that Subaru goes their own way. Sure they spec a 0W20 oil, but they pump the shit out of it, 0.0000001 MPG per year MPG decrease be damned. I like that.
    Sometimes I LIKE things I don't really understand.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List