Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Down the Practical Hole

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Ultimately, I commend you and @rob_s for defining your 'practical rifle' wants/needs, and then staying true to your course. The rest of us just compromised.
    Eventually I’ll probably just end up with a Hog Hunter.

Painful as that is.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Eventually I’ll probably just end up with a Hog Hunter.

Painful as that is.
    That was another that I thought to point out, but I made enough examples as is. Seems like a good option. Will controlled feed be your only concession? That's the only one that really sticks out to me from what I remember of your list.
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-27-2019 at 06:08 PM.

As far as the bolt action market, the Ruger Scout, Mossberg MVP Scout, and Savage 110 Scout are at least attempts to capture what they believe consumers want for a practical rifle. But, as you say, we are a but a tiny subset, and the details of what and why are likely lost on the average consumer that simply "but Cooper!" when they go rifle shopping. As such, the manufacturers give the masses exactly what they're looking for.
    I recall Patrick Kelley's video review of the Savage Scout. With regard to the forward rails on scout-type rifles, I've wondered about using a reversed AR scope mount to float the optic over the action. I'm assuming there will be issues with height over bore.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

That was another that I thought to point out, but I made enough examples as is. Seems like a good option. Will controlled feed be your only concession? That's the only one that really sticks out to me from what I remember of your list.
    Well, that and the stigma of the brand

In case anyone is interested, I create a chart showing the basic specs of some of the current commercial offerings. I hadn't updated it in awhile and it appears that the Howa is discontinued, and Savage has gone completely over to the 110 models so there may be some errors there too.

Here's how I see the options, if I'm using my own criteria (which I've listed at the bottom of this post)

IMO...
    • the Ruger comes closest if you ignore price and rear sight
    • the Savage comes closest if you ignore barrel length, feed, capacity, and brand
    • the CZ comes closest if you ignore caliber, capacity, and barrel threading

Savage Hog Hunter
    Pros: caliber, price, iron sights, barrel-mounted rear, threaded, accessible bolt
    Cons: 4 rounds, 20" barrel, push feed, "Savage"

CZ 527 Carbine
    Pros: price, weight, iron sights, barrel-mounted rear, accessible bolt, CRF
    Cons: caliber, capacity, non-threaded

Ruger Scout
    Pros: caliber, weight, capacity, barrel length*, iron sights, threaded, accessible bolt, CRF
    Cons: price, *barrel length, receiver-mounted rear

1) controlled-round feed
    2) 18" threaded barrel
    3) <7 lbs
    4) iron sights (barrel-mounted rear)
    5) open loading port (i.e. able to top up single rounds from the top)
    6) < $1k (<$750 even better) MSRP
    7) 5+ rounds
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-28-2019 at 05:29 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    CZ 527 Carbine
    Pros: price, weight, iron sights, barrel-mounted rear, accessible bolt, CRF
    Cons: caliber, capacity, non-threaded
    You probably already know this, but the CZ 527 is available with a 16" threaded barrel. Chambered for .223 (or 5.56), 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blackout, and 7.62x39. No iron sights though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    You probably already know this, but the CZ 527 is available with a 16" threaded barrel. Chambered for .223 (or 5.56), 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blackout, and 7.62x39. No iron sights though.
    I assume you men this model? I wasn’t aware of it, no. If so, no irons, so it still loses a point. The extra caliber options are interesting though.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-am...pressor-ready/
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-29-2019 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    My main want on the American Ranch in 300BO is too fart around with it and practice bolt action handling.
    Went ahead and ordered this, for the stated reason:
    https://grabagun.com/ruger-amer-rnch...1-10rd-fd.html

I want to experiment with 300BO and I want to experiment with a red dot on a bolt gun. At some point it might lead to experimenting with a suppressor...

If they made the Ruger Ranch rifles with compact stocks, I'd surely buy one in 7.62x39 tomorrow.

If they made Ranch/Predator rifle options with compact stocks-- AND simple, barrel mounted iron sights--I'd probably buy Ranch rifles in two different calibers and one or two Predators as well.

I think the Ruger Ranch/Predator could be the staple 'budget practical rifle' with these two relatively simple additions. Add in a couple more caliber/barrel length options and I'd be in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    If they made Ranch/Predator rifle options with … simple, barrel mounted iron sights
    I have wondered the same thing. The rear would probably be simple, wonder if there is something out there that might thread on like a muzzle device that has a sight integrated into it?

User Tag List