Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Down the Practical Hole

Site Supporter
    I went through a similar process during my search for a practical rifle a couple years back. My criteria were similar, though slightly different. The only modification I ended up making to my rifle was installation of bottom metal to accept a box magazine. It already had a 16" threaded barrel and mounting for conventional optical sight. I added a SilencerCo Omega 30 suppressor and a Trijicon AccuPower LPV sight. Oh and a larger bolt knob.

It was a fun project. So what are you going to do?

jlw,I do realize that,you may have to make some accommodations to get what you want.I do think what you want would make an extremely viable all purpose rifle and I'm very anxious to see how your concept develops.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    jlw,I do realize that,you may have to make some accommodations to get what you want.I do think what you want would make an extremely viable all purpose rifle and I'm very anxious to see how your concept develops.
    I'm not trying to be testy; so, please don't take this as such.

The point of the first piece was that I wanted to do something other than an AR, but the AR-option was the most expedient conclusion.

The point of the second piece was to point outline my specs and why I rejected all of the available factory options, and I specifically stated that I didn't want to up the cost by have to do a bunch of additional upgrades. Still, I have had several responses with rifle suggestions that do not meet my specs and that would require costly modifications.

For $359 shipped, I can receive a 6.5 Grendel upper and be done with it. I'm not saying that is what I am going to do, but I'm not looking to spend upwards of $800 on a rifle and then have to spend more money in mods.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    There was a T3x CTR on one of the local trading sites this week that had been cut to 16" and threaded, and it had a Timney trigger installed. It was in .308. The price was $650.

$75 mags was my hold up.
    ETA: crap, missed the “CTR” part. Sorry.

Chief, not sure where you’re seeing $75 mags. They’re $30.

https://grabagun.com/mag-tikka-t3-sa-calibers-5rd.html

My Tikka recently put together for virtually the same purpose.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post890472

Without can:
    Name:  F8D5F70C-4E75-4903-8011-89B71C9F98B5.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  68.1 KB

With AAC SDN-6:
    Name:  CE4A8623-8DD5-4269-A0FE-9BBEB7B99D92.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  63.1 KB
    Last edited by ASH556; 06-21-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    ETA: crap, missed the “CTR” part. Sorry.

Chief, not sure where you’re seeing $75 mags. They’re $30.

https://grabagun.com/mag-tikka-t3-sa-calibers-5rd.html

My Tikka recently put together for virtually the same purpose.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post890472

Without can:
    Name:  F8D5F70C-4E75-4903-8011-89B71C9F98B5.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  68.1 KB

With AAC SDN-6:
    Name:  CE4A8623-8DD5-4269-A0FE-9BBEB7B99D92.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  63.1 KB
    Those are the five rounders. Check the price on the ten rounders.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Even if $30, they are still not a common mag such as AICS.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

At least in my neck of the woods, AICS pattern magazines are not carried by the local gun shops. Plenty of AR and Glock mags, maybe a few AK mags but usually not much else. No matter to me, I prefer ordering online anyway.

I am doubtful you'll be able to check all your boxes with a factory rifle. No doubt you'll get close, but the only way to get everything you want is to either build a custom rifle or plan on modifying something that gets you close to start with.

So I went down the custom-build rabbit hole myself. I started with something close to what I wanted (a Remington 700 SPS Tac in .308) and after dinking around with a couple of lower-cost stocks and not being completely satisfied with the rifle's performance, I did a header into the rabbit hole. About $4k later it looks like this;

McMillan stock, Bartlein barrel, blueprinted action bedded to stock, Badger Ordnance M5 DBM bottom metal, Cerakote, blah blah blah. It's an amazing rifle (.3 MOA capable with factory loads), but the most expensive firearm I've ever owned.

If I were to add a lightweight version to the collection, to avoid the financial trauma I'd find a factory rifle that gets me close, maybe a few selective not-too-expensive mods and call it a day. In any case, I too look forward to seeing what you end up with!

jlw,

From the 1st installment:

"Finding a from the factory bolt action rifle in the configuration and caliber that I want is proving to be difficult. While some of the available rifles could certainly be modified accordingly, such modifications would greatly add to the cost of the rifle."

And from the 2nd:

"First, let’s dispense with the caliber discussion. I wanted a round capable of taking hog and deer sized game at 300 yards, perhaps 400. Erik is quite fond of the 6.5 Grendel; so, I looked at several options in that round. Quite frankly, if the Ruger American Ranch were available in 6.5 Grendel, the search would have started and stopped there. Yes, I know they offer it in other configurations of the American, but none are to my liking. As I wrote in the original piece, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money and effort on mods.

I also considered 6.5 Creedmoor (6.5CM henceforth) and the venerable .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO. The plus for 7.62 NATO is the availability of fodder ammo for practicing the practical rifle techniques; however, ultimately I decided on 6.5CM as it will perform as desired, but it generates less recoil than 7.62 NATO. Plus, it’s a cartridge that is on the rise, and it has staying power in the market. Again, this is my rifle. If you prefer 7.62 NATO, good for you."

The point of the second piece was to point outline my specs and why I rejected all of the available factory options, and I specifically stated that I didn't want to up the cost by have to do a bunch of additional upgrades. Still, I have had several responses with rifle suggestions that do not meet my specs and that would require costly modifications...... I'm not looking to spend upwards of $800 on a rifle and then have to spend more money in mods.
    I seem to be on the same mental pathway as you, with the exception that I was locked in on .308/7.62 for precisely the reason you listed above. (I have no knowledge of or experience with the 6.5G or 6.5CM. I'm sure they are great, just sooo far out of my lane).

One of my big hangups has been a compact LOP stock, otherwise the Ruger 26974 would fit the bill; although I'd prefer a 16-ish" barrel to an 18". https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26974.html
    I'm curious if you evaluated and rejected this model, and if so for what criteria, other than being not 6.5G/CM.

All of the above led me to post this: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ter-350-Legend

"I wanted a round capable of taking hog and deer sized game at 300 yards, perhaps 400."

The .350 Legend is supposed to hit harder than the .243 and have less flash/blast/recoil (according to Winchester's marketing department). I know that .243 is plenty good medicine for the whitetails and other critters I'd want to shoot here in south Texas, but I'm not sure of effective range. Then again...beta tester.....new, unproven caliber...etc...etc.

I’m aware of the XS rail that is available. I also have firsthand knowledge of three guns with XS sights that don’t have enough adjustment to be sighted in.
    I was unaware of this issue with the XS rail, and I thank you for the info. I would have been loathe to add a ~$100 accessory out of the gate anyway, and that kind of issue puts the final nail in that coffin.

I'd have several that were stoked and ready to go with social/critter ammo. I'd also have a batch of training mags keeping in mind the notion of the "practical rifle". I'd also want to be able to walk into a decently supplied gun shop and walk out with mags and not have to rely on online ordering.
    This makes the use or AR or AI magazines all the more appealing. Even if the AI pattern magazines were not on the shelf/rack, you're local stocking Magpul dealer could order them in for you with little fuss.

I, for one, am very interested in your journey and thought process, and I look forward to seeing where it leads.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Down the Practical Hole

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    jlw,

One of my big hangups has been a compact LOP stock, otherwise the Ruger 26974 would fit the bill; although I'd prefer a 16-ish" barrel to an 18". https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26974.html
    I'm curious if you evaluated and rejected this model, and if so for what criteria, other than being not 6.5G/CM.

Yes, I looked at that rifle, but the stock is .75 too long; it's .308, and the barrel is longer than 16".

I also looked at the Ruger Ranch Compact in .350 Legend, but the scarcity of the round at this point gave me pause.

I ran some rounds through a Tikka in .308 and an AR in 6.5G today. I really liked the 6.5G.

Last edited by jlw; 06-22-2019 at 08:09 PM.

I appreciate the response.

I also looked at the Ruger Ranch Compact in .350 Legend, but the scarcity of the round at this point gave me pause.
    Exactly where I am. I was somewhat surprised to see how many places are stocking it, though, including a lot of the outfits people here like:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/350-legend

Besides Winchester, Hornady has a loading out. I suppose time will tell if it takes off or not.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...n-whitetail#!/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List