Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81

Thread: Down the Practical Hole

  1. #11
    Member Wheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jawja
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    In the same line of thinking, if I'm ever forced to move back to NY I'd have to sell off about half the guns I currently own. In that case, I'd buy one of these (probably in .308) and install quality MRAD LPVO.
    Donít those take proprietary mags that run about $80/each? Also, no irons?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

  2. #12
    Member Wheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jawja
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    The two rifles That I have that are near your specs, Both Win 70's classic actions, the 6.5x55 feather weight 22'' blued walnut, with a 3.5-10 B&C reticle Lupy The other is a SS 70 classic in a McMillan edge stock in 6.5x284 ( wish now id done 6.5cm) 4.5-14 B&C lupy. Both have been death to anything they have been used on!!

    I built the wife a 18' 6.5 Grendel AR and its accurate as Fuck but we've not had horns in front of us the last two years. But hopefully this year!!

    If I had a couple grand laying around.. this would be hard to turn down.

    https://gundigest.com/rifles/steyr-s...-6-5-creedmoor
    Barrels longer than 18Ē, donít take specified mags, LoP would require customization, do they have irons?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    The two rifles That I have that are near your specs, Both Win 70's classic actions, the 6.5x55 feather weight 22'' blued walnut, with a 3.5-10 B&C reticle Lupy The other is a SS 70 classic in a McMillan edge stock in 6.5x284 ( wish now id done 6.5cm) 4.5-14 B&C lupy. Both have been death to anything they have been used on!!

    I built the wife a 18' 6.5 Grendel AR and its accurate as Fuck but we've not had horns in front of us the last two years. But hopefully this year!!

    If I had a couple grand laying around.. this would be hard to turn down.

    https://gundigest.com/rifles/steyr-s...-6-5-creedmoor
    Those are very nice, but like you stated.. a couple of grand.

    I particularly like the stock, the ability to mount a traditional optic and have sights, etc. I'm not wild about the barrel length and proprietary mags.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    In the same line of thinking, if I'm ever forced to move back to NY I'd have to sell off about half the guns I currently own. In that case, I'd buy one of these (probably in .308) and install quality MRAD LPVO.
    There was a T3x CTR on one of the local trading sites this week that had been cut to 16" and threaded, and it had a Timney trigger installed. It was in .308. The price was $650.

    $75 mags was my hold up.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

  5. #15
    Site Supporter NH Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    $75 mags was my hold up.
    At least in my case, I don't feel compelled to have a large quantity of magazines for my bolt actions. Assuming those $75 mags are reasonably durable and of good quality, I'd probably be content with three or four 5-round mags and one extended mag.

    I still have an itch for the kind of bolt action being discussed.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    At least in my case, I don't feel compelled to have a large quantity of magazines for my bolt actions. Assuming those $75 mags are reasonably durable and of good quality, I'd probably be content with three or four 5-round mags and one extended mag.

    I still have an itch for the kind of bolt action being discussed.
    I'd have several that were stoked and ready to go with social/critter ammo. I'd also have a batch of training mags keeping in mind the notion of the "practical rifle". I'd also want to be able to walk into a decently supplied gun shop and walk out with mags and not have to rely on online ordering.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

  7. #17
    https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26983.html
    Great topic,thank you.If you cut and re-threaded the barrel,this may work?

  8. #18
    https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...e_200808/83789
    In a lever,with some work,this might be interesting.

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Southwest Pennsylvania
    Although I have largely lost interest in non-AR rifles for my present purposes, I am following this thread with interest since I can definitely see a use for a more traditional action type with modern upgrades in some situations.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26983.html
    Great topic,thank you.If you cut and re-threaded the barrel,this may work?
    That rifle is already threaded from the factory, which means Ruger incorporates that into the process with an associated cost. My taking it and having it cut and threaded is basically paying twice to have it threaded plus the cost of the cutting.
    Last edited by jlw; 06-21-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •