Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Down the Practical Hole

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I wanted a bolt rifle simply because I wanted a bolt rifle, and I never made any claims as to trying to turn it into an AR or to compete with an AR. In fact, in the very article that started this thread, I asserted that the AR pattern is the most practical rifle in the current era.

When I want or need an AR, I'll grab one of my ARs and not my bolt rifle.
    True. For fightin’ erect bipedal mammals, my autoloading shotguns and rifles would take precedence, if practicable. Manually-operated long weapons, and all handguns, are secondary choices.

E.T.A.: If in a static position, or, if a vehicle can carry everything, of course, it is nice to be able to have a mid-caliber turn-bolt rifle, with a magnified optic, to throw more mass, a longer distance, plus the AR15/M4/other light autoloading carbine.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-16-2020 at 10:56 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Yes, I looked at that rifle, but the stock is .75 too long; it's .308, and the barrel is longer than 16".
    I also looked at the Ruger Ranch Compact in .350 Legend, but the scarcity of the round at this point gave me pause.
    I bought two .45 GAPs. All was well until the GSP went away from it and so did my ammo source. The Ranch Compact would be ideal, and I like the idea of the .350 Legend, but I want to wait to see if it takes off.
    I handled a Ranch Compact in .350 Legend today and liked the feel. The shop had 10 boxes of 140gr (or 145) flat pointed bullets at $12 per box. The rifle was marked $449.
    I'm with you on the compact stock and the 16" barrel; however, give me mine in 6.5 Grendel.
    Bringing this thread back from the dead. Surfing around on Ruger's site yielded this interesting contender:

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/36924.html

Compact stock, lightweight, 16.1" barrel, 6.5CM. The stock isn't even butt ugly.

Only potential downside is that it doesn't take AR or AICS mags. But, is that all that terrible? Are Ruger's proprietary American series magazines at least reliable? Four rounds on board ain't a lot, but then you can tote extra loaded mags, and they are flush-fit, so toting the rifle in-hand in the field may be more handy.

What do we think?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Bringing this thread back from the dead. Surfing around on Ruger's site yielded this interesting contender:

Compact stock, lightweight, 16.1" barrel, 6.5CM. The stock isn't even butt ugly.

Only potential downside is that it doesn't take AR or AICS mags. But, is that all that terrible? Are Ruger's proprietary American series magazines at least reliable? Four rounds on board ain't a lot, but then you can tote extra loaded mags, and they are flush-fit, so toting the rifle in-hand in the field may be more handy.

What do we think?
    My understanding is that recent production Americans can be fairly easily converted to take AI type magazines. Ruger sells a conversion kit that’s not expensive but you have to call them with the serial number of your rifle. I’m planning on getting a Predator in 308 pretty soon and ordering the kit. I’ve thought about other, arguably better, rifles, but I already have Americans in 22 LR, 22 mag, 223, and 300 Blackout.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

What do we think?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    My understanding is that recent production Americans can be fairly easily converted to take AI type magazines. Ruger sells a conversion kit that’s not expensive but you have to call them with the serial number of your rifle. I’m planning on getting a Predator in 308 pretty soon and ordering the kit. I’ve thought about other, arguably better, rifles, but I already have Americans in 22 LR, 22 mag, 223, and 300 Blackout.

For use in the practical realm, I think the AICS mags would be a must.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    My understanding is that recent production Americans can be fairly easily converted to take AI type magazines. Ruger sells a conversion kit that’s not expensive but you have to call them with the serial number of your rifle.
    I was unaware of this. Thanks for posting it. This opens up possibilities.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

For use in the practical realm, I think the AICS mags would be a must.
    After reading this, I saw that Ruger sells the 5 rd. PMAG on their web store.

https://shopruger.com/308-Win_-65-Cr...uctinfo/18063/

...with this description:

The Magpul PMAG 5 7.62 AC AICS Short Action is a highly reliable 5-round polymer magazine compatible with short action AICS-spec bottom metal for the .308 Winchester based family of cartridges. It features GEN M3 technology, a paint-pen dot matrix for visual identification and a flared base plate for positive control and ease of retrieval. It is compatible with short action Accuracy International Chassis Systems pattern bottom metal and cartridges built on a 0.470" case head such as the 6.5mm Creedmoor. The next-generation impact and crush resistant polymer construction provides strength and durability while the self-lubricating follower and stainless-steel spring deliver increased reliability. This revised PMAG 5 7.62 AC magazine, easily identified by its brown lock plate and follower, has been optimized for reliability with the Ruger American Rifle Hunter. The manufacturer recommends using only the new, brown follower magazines in calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor in the Hunter American stock. Fits the Ruger American Rifle Hunter equipped with the Magpul stock chambered in short action 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Win calibers only. Made in the USA by Magpul.

So off to Magpul's site.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118

An excerpt from the above web page:

The PMAG 10 7.62 AC magazine is optimized for the .308 Winchester based family of cartridges and is compatible with short action AICS-spec bottom metal, to include the Bolt Action Magazine Well for the Hunter 700 Stock, and in most platforms performs exceptionally well in similar, but non-.308 based cartridges, such as 6.5 Creedmoor. While other rifle platforms, such as the Ruger American Rifle®, can be upgraded for use with AICS-spec bottom metal and magazines, the internal design features may present some feeding and reliability concerns when used with the standard PMAG 10 7.62 AC magazine in non-.308 based calibers.

As such, Magpul does not recommend the PMAG 10 7.62 AC for calibers other than .308-based cartridges in the Ruger American Rifle® in the Hunter American stock, and results may vary in other actions with 3-lug bolts. For optimal feeding and reliability with the Hunter American in cartridges like 6.5 Creedmoor, it is recommended to utilize only the updated Magpul PMAG 5 7.62 AC, easily identified with its brown lock plate and follower for complete Magpul reliability.

So, given all that.....

What is the consensus regarding a 5 rd. PMAG vs. a 4 rd. flush Ruger factory mag?

I have no doubts about the PMAG's reliability or durability, and I'm sure they would be easier handling in the field, particularly under any sort of duress. They are about $8-9 /each cheaper to boot. The Ruger mag is....flush fit? So...a little easier toting the rifle unslung. All good until it's time to change mags. Any other thoughts? Anything that I'm missing or not thinking about?
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 04-10-2022 at 08:05 AM.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

With AI magazines, that checks all of my boxes....
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Does a 16.5” 6.5 have any significant advantages over a 16.5” .308 besides reduced recoil? I thought it preferred longer barrels?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Does a 16.5” 6.5 have any significant advantages over a 16.5” .308 besides reduced recoil? I thought it preferred longer barrels?
    The 6.5 will shoot flatter all the way out. Velocity is reduced by shorter barrels but not necessarily accuracy. Out of a 16" barrel the bullet will still be supersonic way out there, like around 1000 yards.

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5...p-a-creedmoor/

https://www.recoilweb.com/baby-barre...le-154581.html
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Thanks, that’s good to know (as long as my CRS doesn’t act up) and entirely unhelpful to my wallet.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List