Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Down the Practical Hole

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    If they made Ranch/Predator rifle options with compact stocks-- AND simple, barrel mounted iron sights--I'd probably buy Ranch rifles in two different calibers and one or two Predators as well.

I think the Ruger Ranch/Predator could be the staple 'budget practical rifle' with these two relatively simple additions. Add in a couple more caliber/barrel length options and I'd be in big trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have wondered the same thing. The rear would probably be simple, wonder if there is something out there that might thread on like a muzzle device that has a sight integrated into it?
    https://ruger.com/products/guideGun/models.html

Ruger already makes such sights on their guide gun. It shouldn't be to hard to adapt it to the American line.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

This is one of those markets where the loss of a skilled craftsman really hurts. That Ruger American should be easy enough to machine two dovetails into the barrel, but there’s nobody left that can, or is willing, to do the work for less than the cost of the gun.

My dream bolt gun would be shorter throw, like the Ruger American, uses 7.62 Pmags (10rd), M1 Garand style rear sight, 18" barrel, scout mount picatinny rail, protected front sight, threaded muzzle. There are rifles that come close, but no one really cares about good iron sights. The Tikka Arctic rifle has iron sights that are theoretically good, but based on Bloke-on-the-Range's experience, the reality falls far short of the dream. Plus they are super expensive.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    My dream bolt gun would be shorter throw, like the Ruger American, uses 7.62 Pmags (10rd), M1 Garand style rear sight, 18" barrel, scout mount picatinny rail, protected front sight, threaded muzzle. There are rifles that come close, but no one really cares about good iron sights. The Tikka Arctic rifle has iron sights that are theoretically good, but based on Bloke-on-the-Range's experience, the reality falls far short of the dream. Plus they are super expensive.
    Realistically, you can’t really use the BUIS on a scout without removing the optic. If that is the case swapping a pre-zeros Aimpoint micro on a QD mount for a broken optic is a more practical solution than irons.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Realistically, you can’t really use the BUIS on a scout without removing the optic. If that is the case swapping a pre-zeros Aimpoint micro on a QD mount for a broken optic is a more practical solution than irons.
    I like shooting iron sights. I used to shoot hi power with an M1 Garand (Navy 7.62x51) and still love irons. So the scout mount with a magnified optic and QD mounts would be optional, the irons are primary. I know, it puts me 60 years out of date, which is why my dream rifle isn't a production option.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    I like shooting iron sights. I used to shoot hi power with an M1 Garand (Navy 7.62x51) and still love irons. So the scout mount with a magnified optic and QD mounts would be optional, the irons are primary. I know, it puts me 60 years out of date, which is why my dream rifle isn't a production option.
    For irons as a primary I would want a receiver mounted peep sight as well. The Canadians used to run ELCANS on their M16 variant and keep a fixed rear BUIS in the cleaning compartment in the stock to swap out in case the optic failed.

I can still group a bit better with irons but for practical shooting quantified performance doesn’t lie, RDS> irons.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-06-2019 at 02:57 PM.

I agree, receiver mounted peep sight. Which is why I said the M1 Garand peep sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is one of those markets where the loss of a skilled craftsman really hurts. That Ruger American should be easy enough to machine two dovetails into the barrel, but there’s nobody left that can, or is willing, to do the work for less than the cost of the gun.
    Even three or four drilled and tapped holes could do this job. Come on Ruger!

Getting this done on a GUN in my area isn't as simple as it should be. Anything else, I could just bring it to a local machine shop. There are plenty of craftsmen around, but they can't touch firearms. I suppose buying a drill press with depth adjustment, vice, and a drill/tap would be the most economical way to accomplish this.

It's madness.

I really miss the Bridgeport milling machines I had in the machine shop at trade school! I think I'm going to have to invest in a small hobby setup just to make modernity less frustrating. As a union millwright, I'm constantly in and around large machine shops in my travels for work, but I'll never get close to one with a barreled action in hand. A guy could do a lot of good work with a pulse TIG welder and a hobbiest milling machine/lathe. Hell, maybe I could even find an old Bridgeport that needs repair and convert it to run on single phase power. I've already got a bunch of machinist tools for doing precision alignments on industrial equipment at work.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'd probably buy a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington before the Ruger in .350 Legend.
    "Sooner or later, everything old is new again". Stephen King.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I lost track of this thread, but are we still on a budget? If not, the Q the Fix in 6.5 with a sixteen inch barrel seems to check about every box Jeff Cooper would have been interested in.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List