Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Down the Practical Hole

Down the Practical Hole

Some recent rifle thoughts:

Down the Practical Hole
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Currently once again in the midst of a 1500nm+ multi state travel odyssey. Behind the seat of my truck sits a 94 in a saddle scabbard. I really don’t feel under gunned, nor at a disadvantage. It is “area contingent” however...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Currently once again in the midst of a 1500nm+ multi state travel odyssey. Behind the seat of my truck sits a 94 in a saddle scabbard. I really don’t feel under gunned, nor at a disadvantage. It is “area contingent” however...
    I’m obviously fond of a .30-30 levergun, and somewhere there is video of me clearing a house with the 336 pictured in the article.

I recognize, however, that it’s range is limited.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I've been amused at some of the responses I have received from the article. I specifically didn't outline my preferred configuration as I knew it would turn into a debate over features. That hasn't stopped people from sending me all sorts of rifle suggestions.

I'm working on a part 2 now that will go into detail on what I want and why I rejected the currently available factory offerings.

Site Supporter
    From the Musings of Col. Cooper

"We have had various people write in to tell us how much they admire that version of the venerable Winchester Model 94 which is now made to take pistol cartridges. This seems to us a piece of bad terminology by the Winchester people, who used to call the lever-action carbine for the rifle cartridge the M94 and the lever-action carbine for a pistol cartridge the M92. Both of these instruments serve a valuable purpose in today's peculiar society, wherein the instrument is deemed by our lawmakers to possess a will of its own. The old Winchester lever guns, drastically more efficient than any AK47 or Uzi, still possess a rather innocent air, and they have not yet been discovered by our legislative oppressors. But one should not confuse a piece which takes a rifle cartridge with a piece which takes a pistol cartridge. We announced previously that we will henceforth refer to the M94 30-30 as 'The Broklyn Special.' Now, however, in honor of one of our customers in Kansas City who uses the 94/92 in caliber 44 Magnum, we refer to this piece as 'The Kansas City Special.' " (1989)

I believe the gentleman to whom Col. Cooper was referring to re the "Kansas City Special" was my first shooting mentor (Maj. Douglas Smith, RIP) whom I met in the spring of 1991. Doug and a number of his friends had all retired to Ft Leavenworth, Kansas and had all been students of the Col since the late 70's/early 80's. FT. Leavenworth is just west of KC, thus the naming of the configuration. Its sounds a lot better than the "Leavenworth Special" as well!

IIRC, Doug ran it with a butt cuff, some type of Ashley Express sights and a sling. In later years, he added a red dot. It was small enough and flat enough to go under or behind most any seat. FWIW.

David Barnes

PS-Looking forward to your postings on this issue. Be safe and well.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 06-20-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    The barrel is longer than my specs...

Scout rail...

I’m aware of the XS rail that is available. I also have firsthand knowledge of three guns with XS sights that don’t have enough adjustment to be sighted in.

In the same line of thinking, if I'm ever forced to move back to NY I'd have to sell off about half the guns I currently own. In that case, I'd buy one of these (probably in .308) and install quality MRAD LPVO.

The two rifles That I have that are near your specs, Both Win 70's classic actions, the 6.5x55 feather weight 22'' blued walnut, with a 3.5-10 B&C reticle Lupy The other is a SS 70 classic in a McMillan edge stock in 6.5x284 ( wish now id done 6.5cm) 4.5-14 B&C lupy. Both have been death to anything they have been used on!!

I built the wife a 18' 6.5 Grendel AR and its accurate as Fuck but we've not had horns in front of us the last two years. But hopefully this year!!

If I had a couple grand laying around.. this would be hard to turn down.

https://gundigest.com/rifles/steyr-s...-6-5-creedmoor
    Last edited by Prdator; 06-21-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

User Tag List