Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Down the Practical Hole

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I appreciate the response.

Exactly where I am. I was somewhat surprised to see how many places are stocking it, though, including a lot of the outfits people here like:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/350-legend

Besides Winchester, Hornady has a loading out. I suppose time will tell if it takes off or not.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...n-whitetail#!/

I bought two .45 GAPs. All was well until the GSP went away from it and so did my ammo source. The Ranch Compact would be ideal, and I like the idea of the .350 Legend, but I want to wait to see if it takes off.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

If nothing else, this thread exemplifies how spoiled we all are by being able to easily get an AR set up exactly like we want very easily and efficiently.

I've got a really slick 6.5G AR I finished up over the winter, and I've very pleased with how it turned out. It's more of a precision setup than a light & handy field rifle, though. Would be great for popping hogs from a relatively stationary position; wouldn't be ideal for carrying around behind the seat of a side-by-side on the farm or while hiking on spot-n-stalk hunt, though. I too would really like a nice little bolt gun (because: fun/cheap) with very similar specs in mind, and everything available has something missing or wrong.

To be fair for my purposes the 7.62x39 or even .223 versions would probably be fine, as I already have plenty of both ammo laying around.

I might end up with the Predator version of the Ruger American. Barrel is too long, and I wish it could be had with irons. But it's probably the closest, cheapest option for me (short of the obviously logical answer of building a really basic 6.5g upper for this role).

I feel your pain, JLW.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post

To be fair for my purposes the 7.62x39 or even .223 versions would probably be fine, as I already have plenty of both ammo laying around.
    I considered the Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39, but I didn’t feel as if I would get anything with it I couldn’t get with my .300Blk AR.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I considered the Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39, but I didn’t feel as if I would get anything with it I couldn’t get with my .300Blk AR.
    I think, barring maybe ease of getting a factory threaded bbl, most of the utility one would look for starts to be really well-served by that .30-30 lever... ETA: Referring specifically to a 7.62x39 carbine - it lacks the legs of a 6.5G variant.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 06-23-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    All of the above led me to post this: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ter-350-Legend

"I wanted a round capable of taking hog and deer sized game at 300 yards, perhaps 400."

The .350 Legend is supposed to hit harder than the .243 and have less flash/blast/recoil (according to Winchester's marketing department). I know that .243 is plenty good medicine for the whitetails and other critters I'd want to shoot here in south Texas, but I'm not sure of effective range. Then again...beta tester.....new, unproven caliber...etc...etc.
    Updated info on that over here. Whatever you might think of him, he does get hands-on.

https://www.realguns.com/articles/1111.htm
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

@Chuck Whitlock,

I handled a Ranch Compact in .350 Legend today and liked the feel. The shop had 10 boxes of 140gr (or 145) flat pointed bullets at $12 per box. The rifle was marked $449.

I also looked at the Ruger Ranch Compact in .350 Legend, but the scarcity of the round at this point gave me pause.
    I bought two .45 GAPs. All was well until the GSP went away from it and so did my ammo source. The Ranch Compact would be ideal, and I like the idea of the .350 Legend, but I want to wait to see if it takes off.
    I handled a Ranch Compact in .350 Legend today and liked the feel. The shop had 10 boxes of 140gr (or 145) flat pointed bullets at $12 per box.
    I am mostly interested when empty casings become available, this one should be really simple to reload.

But I am thinking about the same gun in 300BO first, if I like it maybe a 350 Legend would be a nice companion.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am mostly interested when empty casings become available, this one should be really simple to reload.

But I am thinking about the same gun in 300BO first, if I like it maybe a 350 Legend would be a nice companion.
    I have an AR in .300BLK. It's basically a box fed .30-30; good within its range, but that range is limited.

I have an AR in .300BLK. It's basically a box fed .30-30; good within its range, but that range is limited.
    My main want on the American Ranch in 300BO is too fart around with it and practice bolt action handling. And if a fella ever bought a can for it, well that would just be bonus...

User Tag List