Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Down the Practical Hole

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    @jlw, any updates on the Ruger? I find myself thinking again about picking up an RAR.
    Overall, I am pleased with it. i took some hogs with it in it's only venture into the field.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Saw this reviewed by one of the gun blogs that sends me emails.

Savage 110 Scout

Could it be that @P.E. Kelley has been passing along the requests he sees here?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I was signed up for a class with NLEFIA that got cancelled; so, I thought to roll that money into Randy Cain's Practical Rifle class later this year. It's sold out. Perhaps the fact that folks could get hunting caliber ammo currently helped that along.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Randy’s long gun classes are big on reloading. A DBM rifle would be a big advantage.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Saw this reviewed by one of the gun blogs that sends me emails.

Savage 110 Scout

Could it be that @P.E. Kelley has been passing along the requests he sees here?
    Checked the link again, and noticed that it says even the .223 uses AICS mags. Kind of a fail when the Ruger Ranch .223 takes AR mags.

Between the two, I think I'm still in the Ruger camp. Even for 7.62x39, the Mini 30 mags are double stack (don't hang down as far per round count) and about $25 each.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Checked the link again, and noticed that it says even the .223 uses AICS mags.

A lot of bolt gun run AICS because it is cheaper/easier to engineer the feed system. The AICS presents the round to be fed in the same spot every time. Feeding from an alternating magazine complicates the problem.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Checked the link again, and noticed that it says even the .223 uses AICS mags. Kind of a fail when the Ruger Ranch .223 takes AR mags.

Between the two, I think I'm still in the Ruger camp. Even for 7.62x39, the Mini 30 mags are double stack (don't hang down as far per round count) and about $25 each.
    You'll probably get smoother feeding from the single stack mag.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Randy’s long gun classes are big on reloading. A DBM rifle would be a big advantage.
    It’s been a long time since I took the class, and almost as long since I’ve hung out in those circles, but I seem to recall that folks who had done so with DBM guns reported the opposite IIRC because the reloading in question is really a continuous topping up more so that a changing of mags, and loose Ammo management is easier than mag management in those cases.

Now if we are talking about sticking a 20- or 30- round mag in the gun in order to AVOID the reloading then that’s another thing entirely, but I would argue that you’d miss one of the great benefits and enjoyments of the class.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It’s been a long time since I took the class, and almost as long since I’ve hung out in those circles, but I seem to recall that folks who had done so with DBM guns reported the opposite IIRC because the reloading in question is really a continuous topping up more so that a changing of mags, and loose Ammo management is easier than mag management in those cases.

Now if we are talking about sticking a 20- or 30- round mag in the gun in order to AVOID the reloading then that’s another thing entirely, but I would argue that you’d miss one of the great benefits and enjoyments of the class.

One has to take into account the era in which the rifle was produced. Sure, I'd love a classic bolt rifle with an internal magazine that can easily be topped on the fly; however, when I began this project, it seemed that most bolt rifles were being produced currently with three or four round detachable mags. If I am going to be forced into a detachable mag, I'm going with something that uses AR or AICS mags.

User Tag List