Thread: What should a n00b look for in a BJJ gym/instructor?

What should a n00b look for in a BJJ gym/instructor?

Hey guys, I thought this could be a useful topic for this forum for people that want to get into BJJ.

I'm fortunate that Cecil teaches/trains somewhat locally to me, albeit on the opposite side of the city. So I was able to get input from him on a good instructor in my area that he recommended. In a few weeks I'll be transitioning to day shift and will be able to start taking classes with that instructor. I'm very excited for this to start, but I realized that many people won't have a local authority to go to for advice like I do.

So, in that spirit, what should a new practitioner look for in a gym/instructor? What would be good qualities, and what would be red flags? Any specific questions the prospective student should ask a prospective teacher?

There are so many schools that teach BJJ in my area, that without direct advice from Cecil I don't even know where I would have started, and don't even know what traits would make a "bad" or "good" school. So I'm hoping that info found here could help some other or future students that are on the fence about trying it out.

I would suggest checking this thread first before we start repeating information.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ood-BJJ-School
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

My apologies, with this sub forum being so new I didn't even think to do a search on the topic! That thread may be worth a "sticky" for this sub forum if the question comes up much.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    My apologies, with this sub forum being so new I didn't even think to do a search on the topic! That thread may be worth a "sticky" for this sub forum if the question comes up much.

Ask and ye shall receive
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List