Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manurhin MR88 support?

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Jon in WA: Although I am a large, rhino-like land mammal, I have big, beefy palms with really short, sausage fingers that match my T-Rex-like arms. The Trausch grips are floppy on my example, and they cover the backstrap which gives me a less-than optimal trigger reach. Also, they interfere with proper ejection, and I would assume speedloader use, though I haven't confirmed the speedloader issue as I only have 200 rounds through the gun. I was able to purchase a set of F1 grips from Numrich, the wood police-issue slim stocks, but they do not include a grip screw, so I am back to square one.
    While the thumb strakes can interfere with ejection (usually interfering with the one cartridge directly it line with it), I've found that incorporating a slight cylinder twist and incorporating multiple activation of the ejector rod (usually 2 hits in rapid succession works) in the ejection process resolves that problem. The Safariland Comp II speedloaders designated for Ruger -Sixes won't work with the Trausch grips with the thumb strake-but the Safariland Comp IIs for S&W K-frame ones will. HKS speedloaders designated for the -Six Rugers, being slightly smaller, will work with the Trausch grips.

In my experience, the benefits of the Trausch grips (ergonomics, index, control, recoil absorption/dissipation) far outweigh the negatives (scarcity, need to modify to fit grip frame if a square-butt -Six, need to come up with a modified ejection technique). Obviously, your individual physique and experiences may differ from mine.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-18-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Centerfire systems has used ones for $699. I’ve never dealt with them so I can’t recommend them as a seller.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...evolver-3.aspx
    I'd frankly compare it to the relatively scarce-as-hen's-teeth USPS 3" Speed Six. If they're in any sort of decent shape, that price strikes me as being eminently reasonable.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'd frankly compare it to the relatively scarce-as-hen's-teeth USPS 3" Speed Six. If they're in any sort of decent shape, that price strikes me as being eminently reasonable.

Best, Jon
    I bought a used one off Gunbroker and after paying shipping, fees and such, I'm at about $800 and thoroughly happy with my purchase. A Ruger 4" Speed-Six was my first duty gun and it was not new when I was issued it. I put thousands of rounds through it, most crappy reloads, when I carried it. Luckily, I was able to purchase it when my agency transitioned to G17s. I only saw two malfunctions with them during my time with SFSD, one, a deputy used his revolver as a hammer and knocked off the front sight. Two, during the Mike O'Brien match my buddy's revolver broke an internal piece of the lockwork, which stopped the entire match and all the range staff from SFPD and SFSD stopped what they were doing to examine the broken gun because they had never seen one break. A day later, after parts replacement. it was up and running again, and the SOB beat me with a 448 to my 435 in the match with a borrowed revolver to finish the stage.

The MR 88 is not the same as the Ruger investment-cast parts. My corporal, a long-time friend and former SWAT nut-to-butt partner, examined it at an open range, dry-fired it and popped off a few rounds and admired it, remarking to me about the quality of machining and workmanship. He marveled at the craftsmanship. Mine had scratches and wear marks; it was carried and not loved. It's still beautiful and shoots like a dream. The sideplate and lockwork changes made it, arguably, less strong. However, the changes to the lockwork, IMO, rectify the worst aspects of the Security/Soeed-Six vices, the trigger action. The original was thoroughly serviceable, but not able to be compared with a good S&W M19 or 65. However, by choice, I carried the Speed-Six. It was a much more durable gun than any Smith. The MR-88 is the Speed-Six with a good trigger. And forged components.

Pahearne, great write-up. I've always been curious as to why the French/Manhurin felt compelled to change one of the salient features of the -Six (and subsequent GP100) revolvers, the disassembly through the drop-down trigger assembly. After reading some of p-f member's Zeleny detailed articles on the Manhurin revolvers, I can understand their going with a new improved steel cylinder and barrel to achieve their superlative longevity, but I don't understand why they went with the structurally weaker removable sideplate.

I believe the Security-Six/F1 was license build by Manhurin for a period; was the change necessitated to avoid legal issues when Manhurin branched away from license-built to the proprietary (at least somewhat) MR88?

Regardless, from what I've read (having never owned or handled/shot any of the Manhurins) they're absolutely superb revolvers-in all aspects; accuracy, reliability and durability. I believe Zeleny considers the MR73 to be intrinsically better than the MR88, but I'm uncertain if that's because of design, materials, component quality, durability, reliability or manufacturing process. Hopefully he'll chime in on this discussion.

The -Six revolvers are superb workhorses, but the Manhurin guns take things to the next level in my opinion. The Manhurins (especially the MR73) was from the outset designed to have an exceptionally long lifespan under continuous heavy use with full-power magnum cartridges. And with the expectation that they would be used accordingly throughout their lifespan, especially by GIGN and other agencies.

If I remember correctly, I believe that the MR73s are still to this day used as a primary handgun by GIGN, with a Glock 17 as the high-capacity back-up.

The French LEO have had an extensive history with Ruger and Manhurin revolvers as first-line LEO weaponry; recently there's been a surplus of 3" SP101s availailable with lanyard loops, reportedly from a French Railway Police order.

I'd venture that an out-of-the-box difference between a MR88 and a -Six would be in the trigger pull, from all reports the MRs have a significantly superior triggerpull. However, a knowledgeable gunsmith should easily be able to tune a -Six providing an exceptional triggerpull; my personal Security Six certainly has one, and it's better than that on my prefessionally tuned GP100.

You simply don't hear about -Six's breaking or wearing out, but for the ultimate durability out of the Ruger design, it sounds like the MR is the way to go. But they are spendy beasts, and I suspect that most of us here on p-f would be perfectly adequately served with a -Six. But I'll freely admit that a Chapuis Manhurin MR73 and MR88 are on my bucket list, and I'd be much more inclined to spend money on them than on a semi-custom 1911. I think that the value regarding the Manhurins is genuinely there.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-19-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    There's a 3" MR88 up on Gunbroker. It's the only one that's not being started at a stupid-crazy amount.

I've dropped a bid.
    When the bidding was at five cents, I put in a maximum bid of $500. With 12 days to go in the auction, I've already been outbid.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

3" MR73 here if you dare

It's got a goodly amount of carry wear but may go at a somewhat reasonable price. Currently $1160.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    3" MR73 here if you dare

It's got a goodly amount of carry wear but may go at a somewhat reasonable price. Currently $1160.
    Ah, no. That’s the “buy it now” price. Bidding starts at $910 and nobody’s bid on it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Ah, no. That’s the “buy it now” price. Bidding starts at $910 and nobody’s bid on it.
    Shit....I ain't even had a drink either. <sulks off into a dark corner>

I bought a model 88 in early 2020. There was a buy it now $500 plus shipping and tax. I disassembled it found it was dirty and heavy double action. I replace main spring with Wolff and it helped some. I like the Trausch grips except makes it hard to shoot single action, which I do not do very much. The gun is heavy so +P 38 are easy to control. I would think the gun could handle 357 ammo but it may have been a French requirement for 38 special only. Like a Ruger Security Six with full lug.

There's a 3" MR88 up on Gunbroker. It's the only one that's not being started at a stupid-crazy amount.

I've dropped a bid.
    Kicking myself for not buying one when they were $499 at AIM.

It wasn’t that long ago, either.

User Tag List