Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 27 years on the job

27 years on the job

I recently went back to motors and one of my officer still carries his 4" 686. It's the same gun he bought back in '94 with the original grips and carried in a Safariland 070. I'm surprised at how good of shape that it's in considering its been exposed to a lot of rain over the last ten years. Just thought I'd share. Actually we have two more motor officers that still carry wheel guns but I don't have pics of those yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had a 686 with a 6" barrel. Regret I got rid of it.

When I started the job there were still a few of the Vietnam-vet guys carrying S&W 19's, 66's and 686's running around and a few N-frames as well.

It gives me warm fuzzy feelings to see a revolver in a duty holster, but I cannot imagine carrying one in a patrol setting in our current times, especially with all the other heavy crap that we have to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    When I started the job there were still a few of the Vietnam-vet guys carrying S&W 19's, 66's and 686's running around and a few N-frames as well.

It gives me warm fuzzy feelings to see a revolver in a duty holster, but I cannot imagine carrying one in a patrol setting in our current times, especially with all the other heavy crap that we have to carry.
    Spoken only from my observational experience of seeing wheelies in Austin PD and then Chicago PD holsters.

Those officers did not typically carry any extraneous stuff. Two pairs of cuffs, two speed loaders, radio and in Chicago they have real batons, so they have a ring holder for a 24" hardwood baton. It was/is very old school.

Last officer I saw with a wheelie in Chi, he was wearing a vest with a body cam on it and a couple of pouches, one with a First Aid cross on it. But his belt was the same as described above. And was even a two hole basketweave belt, smartly polished to match his polished boots and the shiny brim of his hat. He clearly exceeded 'uniform standards'.

ETA: I will also say this, he exuded a great attitude too. He was polite as he walked, tipping his hat to folks. But also seemed like a guy who would dole it out with his baton, which was worn, but also maintained. His gear was all neat and fastidious - the kind of care that only comes from discipline and internal desire for it to be so.

I miss my first batch of .357 revolvers. I thought that I needed to transition to big bores, so my .357 revolvers were traded-away. The 4” 686 and 2.5” 55 had delivered to the academy, in early 1984. I had also bought a Model 581 at a now-long-gone LGS. All gone by 1986 or 1987. Sigh.

I did return to .357 revolvers, for street duty, in 1993, after two .45 duty autos, that I had carried from 1990 to 1993, became problematic. First was the GP100, soon joined by S&W Models 66 and 19. I used these, as primary handguns for street duty, until 1997, when I returned to using duty autos. I did not “grandfather” any revolvers, so, after September 1997, could only carry autos as primary duty handguns.

As far as I know, one of my academy classmates is still working Central Patrol, in Houston, toting one of his two L-Frame duty revolvers.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-06-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

this was issued to me in 1989. It was rough.... but on days off and Flitz and some grip attention got it to this point. They would not let us change the grips or carry speed loaders. We had to load from belt loops. Shhhhhhh, I had speed strips in my pockets.

We were issued G21 in 92 and 93 and we were allowed to purchase our issued for a whopping $129.

still got it.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I recently went back to motors and one of my officer still carries his 4" 686. It's the same gun he bought back in '94 with the original grips and carried in a Safariland 070. I'm surprised at how good of shape that it's in considering its been exposed to a lot of rain over the last ten years. Just thought I'd share. Actually we have two more motor officers that still carry wheel guns but I don't have pics of those yet.

You also have a guy with spectacular hair who works IAH who caries a 686.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post

I can't believe he never switched those grips.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

We were issued Bianchi Hurricane holsters which were clamshell forward rake draw. The armorer Lt was allowed a Smython in a Bianchi Judge with Hogue grips. We were all mad.

We were issued the Safariland 070 with Glocks. Huge learning curve compared to the Hurricane. I recall the 070 for a revolver was like a bank vault. The cylinder on the revolver was the plus for holster retention.

this is me first night on patrol in 1989. Six rounds in my 686, twelve in the loops (18 total), handcuffs to the rear and traditional mace on the other side.... that was it.

My dad snap this photo before I headed out and my mom had bought me my Red Wing boots. I quickly found out those boots were too slippery for patrol use.

Dont make fun of the hair (it was originally a mullet) or glasses (it was 89) :P

oh and I dont look like that today.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Damn...I think there's just about nothing that's quite as sexy as a pre lock 4" 686

User Tag List