Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Shooting outside federal courthouse in Dallas

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Unless things have changed quite a bit, that's very MOS dependent. When I signed up (assuming you were going active duty), if I wanted to be an MP I had to commit to 6 years. I went Combat Engineer and my commitment was 2 years, 17 weeks active, 2 years reserves with the reserves dropped if I reenlisted. I did reenlist, which gets rid of all of your remaining time on your current enlistment and immediately starts your "new" enlistment. I spent 3 years, 8 months, 3 days on active duty and that was *with* the reenlistment.
    When I enlisted (1988) it was an 8 year commitment. 2,4 or 6 years active and the remainder in the IRR, Guard or Reserve. If you were active longer than 8 years your IRR time was fulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I haven’t heard of anything less than a 4 year contract in the GWOT era.
    Ditto. USMC made it standard across the board.

AFAIK during GWOT 2 year contracts were few and far between in the Army, which is why it was big news a year or two ago when they brought back 2 year contracts for a bunch of MOSs.

IDK about the Navy though.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I haven’t heard of anything less than a 4 year contract in the GWOT era.
    We had guys coming in on 2 year initial contracts as active duty Army MPs starting in late 2002-early 2003. When I left the military in 2005, I think that initial contracts were back to 5 years.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    When I enlisted (1988) it was an 8 year commitment. 2,4 or 6 years active and the remainder in the IRR, Guard or Reserve. If you were active longer than 8 years your IRR time was fulfilled.
    Right, I was just talking about until you got your discharge from active duty. It was an 8 year commitment if you count IRR.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    We had guys coming in on 2 year initial contracts as active duty Army MPs starting in late 2002-early 2003. When I left the military in 2005, I think that initial contracts were back to 5 years.
    I remember a 2-year option when I signed up in the early 80s.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I remember a 2-year option when I signed up in the early 80s.

Okie John
    When I was at Fort Lewis there was an FDC guy in my unit who was on a two year contract. He was born and raised in Tacoma and the Army assigned him to Ft. Lewis as his only duty station. I don't think they even assigned him a room in the Barracks.

I always thought it was a waste of two years
    Last edited by Cypher; 06-21-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Around 2010 I trained with a guy from Walla Walla who graduated osut, deployed, returned to finish up his two year National Guard contract with 60% college benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    ^^^This.

I enlisted in December 1988 and left September 1, 1989. I Did a 4x4 (4 active and 4 inactive).

My son enlisted 2 years ago and it’s a 4x4. His buddy enlisted for MP, which is what I was, and it’s a 5x8 now for that MOS. I ASSuME it’s MOS dependent.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/19/family...wanted-to-die/

The family of a 22-year-old man who opened fire on a Dallas courthouse, striking no one before federal agents fatally shot him, said they believe his intent was to die.

Brian Clyde’s mother, Nubia Brede Solis, said her son had been in a mental institution before he was discharged from the Army.

“My son was a very good shot,” Paul Clyde told the paper. “He didn’t have an intention to shoot anybody.”
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

So he was a prohibited person?

User Tag List