Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shooting outside federal courthouse in Dallas

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Let's dial back the memes and general bullshitting. This isn't in General Discussion, although I'm willing to move it there if the consensus is you want memes and general bullshitting.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

CWM11B
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I’ve been disarmed at two federal courthouses in NC. Definitely gun free zones for everyone but the employees.
    Same here. Every time, and in uniform

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Same here. Every time, and in uniform
    Back in the day we could go to federal court, keep our firearms and take the stand armed (in plain clothes, I never worked uniform). In NYC no less.

The change took place some time in the 90's as I recall in South FL. I wanna say mid 90's but I can't remember exactly when. It was an adjustment, to be sure.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

At the federal courthouse in Little Rock in the late 90s, the only people allowed to be armed were the marshals that worked the court room. The marshals and ATF agents and the rest of us on that case had to secure our weapons outside the court room.

Site Supporter
    In Federal courts only the USMS personnel are armed, whether deputies, detention officers or blue coats. In my city the federal criminal court is in a stand alone court building so all non USMS are required to check weapons at the entrances.

In other places where the courts are in mixed federal buildings, federal LE didn't need to disarm till they get to the floor etc where the courts are located. Either way the only people armed in federal courts are USMS and some of the judges.

Can’t really call them a “gun free zone” since USMS has shot and killed at least one defendant who got froggy in the courtroom.

In state court houses here LEOs can carry as long as they are on official, rather than personal business.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-18-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In Federal courts only the USMS personnel are armed, whether deputies, detention officers or blue coats. In my city the federal criminal court is in a stand alone court building so all non USMS are required to check weapons at the entrances.

In other places where the courts are in mixed federal buildings, federal LE didn't need to disarm till they get to the floor etc where the courts are located. Either way the only people armed in federal courts are USMS and some of the judges.

Can’t really call them a “gun free zone” since USMS has shot and killed at least one defendant who got froggy in the courtroom.

In state court houses here LEOs can carry as long as they are on official, rather than personal business.
    Perhaps it depends on the area. In my AO, at least, I show my credentials and bypass the metal detectors. No one has ever asked my business.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    At the federal courthouse in Little Rock in the late 90s, the only people allowed to be armed were the marshals that worked the court room. The marshals and ATF agents and the rest of us on that case had to secure our weapons outside the court room.
    Kehoe brothers?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From Dallas Morning News:

A relative of the man who opened fire outside downtown Dallas’ federal building this week warned the FBI in 2016 that he shouldn’t be allowed to buy a gun because he was depressed and suicidal, his mother said Thursday.

Brian Clyde’s half-brother called the FBI about his concerns, their mother Nubia Brede Solis said. Clyde was in the Army at the time.

An FBI official confirmed that the half-brother called a national hotline on July 1, 2016, leaving a message to report that Clyde was suicidal and had a fascination with guns.

But the official said the half-brother didn’t report a threat against an entity or individual, so the FBI had no legal reason to pursue an investigation and no further action was taken.

Clyde, who had enlisted in the Army right out of high school, had been placed in a mental health facility for two weeks in the summer of 2016, said [his mother], 59.

Clyde served at Fort Campbell in Kentucky for about 18 months before he was honorably discharged in February 2017. Typically, those who enlist serve for four years.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    From Dallas Morning News:

Typically, those who enlist serve for four years.
    Unless things have changed quite a bit, that's very MOS dependent. When I signed up (assuming you were going active duty), if I wanted to be an MP I had to commit to 6 years. I went Combat Engineer and my commitment was 2 years, 17 weeks active, 2 years reserves with the reserves dropped if I reenlisted. I did reenlist, which gets rid of all of your remaining time on your current enlistment and immediately starts your "new" enlistment. I spent 3 years, 8 months, 3 days on active duty and that was *with* the reenlistment.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Unless things have changed quite a bit, that's very MOS dependent. When I signed up (assuming you were going active duty), if I wanted to be an MP I had to commit to 6 years. I went Combat Engineer and my commitment was 2 years, 17 weeks active, 2 years reserves with the reserves dropped if I reenlisted. I did reenlist, which gets rid of all of your remaining time on your current enlistment and immediately starts your "new" enlistment. I spent 3 years, 8 months, 3 days on active duty and that was *with* the reenlistment.
    I haven’t heard of anything less than a 4 year contract in the GWOT era.

User Tag List