Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The more things change...

Those guns tended to have fairly heavy triggers when compared to 1911s as primers back then weren't as sensitive as they are now and they needed a good whack to set off.

As far as a heavy trigger prevention NDs? I'm of the opinion that NDs are usually the result of a brain fart and there ain't any gadget that will help that.

Guns are like flying. There's lots of rules and adages, but the absolute is 'Don't f$%k up'. I've seen it placarded in more than one plane.

Bat Masterson may not cotton to y'all calling him Pat Garrett

To "sweeten" the actions of those old Colts meant working on
    the innards which were of soft steel/iron, which meant wear
    was going to increase.

As an aside, I remember seeing an 1880s Colt ad telling
    owners to be sure to use the quarter cock "safety" notch
    to allow six loaded chambers. That tiny first notch was also
    the one that wore or broke off quite soon.

The "safety" notch and the very hard primers did give a
    margin of safety for carrying a round under the hammer.

In "The Shootist" take note that John Wayne loads the
    sixth chambers before heading off to meet his adversaries
    at the saloon.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    There's an old story that when Bat Masterson was a reporter in NYC, he would buy SA Colts from pawnshops in NJ and sell them as "Bat Masterson's gun". So it could have been his gun, at least for a day or two.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    There's an old story that when Bat Masterson was a reporter in NYC, he would buy SA Colts from pawnshops in NJ and sell them as "Bat Masterson's gun". So it could have been his gun, at least for a day or two.
    I recall that he would make sure to add some notches on the grips for authenticity.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Bat Masterson may not cotton to y'all calling him Pat Garrett
    Totally my bad on that.....posting on Oxy and Neuroton is not a good idea. Guilty...😕
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Colt action experts

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    If your girlfriends uncle has any suggestions on where to send a Colt for some action work I'd be all ears. I'm hesitant to send 'em out as I want 'em done right the first time. Fairly recent 3rd gen 45s.
    Nutmeg Sports and Munden's Sixgun Magic are very highly regarded shops by Colt SAA aficianadoes.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia!

User Tag List