Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The more things change...

Site Supporter

The more things change...

My girlfriend's uncle is Richard "Dick" Burdick, a preeminent Colt Single Action Army (SAA) collector. I met him 06/01/2019 in his home town - Meeker, CO. Although I am more shooter than collector and more S&W than Colt, we had a fascinating discussion about the SAA. Dick's specialty is SAAs with "provenance". An example is his piece on Bat Masterson's last SAA. I was struck by Masterson's order which stated in part "Make it very Easy on trigger and Make front Sight rather high and thick." The more things change...

Name:  Burdick, Richard Rampant Colt cover story on Masterson.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  Burdick, Richard page 1 of article on Masterson.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  48.2 KB

No no no. That's all wrong. You're supposed to master a long gritty 7lb trigger to really tactically manage the hell out of a threat.

If your girlfriends uncle has any suggestions on where to send a Colt for some action work I'd be all ears. I'm hesitant to send 'em out as I want 'em done right the first time. Fairly recent 3rd gen 45s.

The Masterson letter to Colt, I believe, stated he wanted the barrel
    to end at the ejector housing (making it a 4.75 inch model) and
    definitely nickeled as that made the actions smoother and the gun's
    finish more durable.

Supposedly Masterson said that six SAAs were in order for the
    frontier: Two in holsters, two being sweetened and two in
    reserve. This reflected how the soft iron tended to wear,
    making the guns less durable during regular use.

Of course, Masterson reportedly in his newspaper days in
    New York used to buy SAAs from the local stores to sell
    as the "genuine" guns he carried on the frontier.

Very cool story. I had heard that about Bat before. I think Colt recently (last few years) did a Bat Masterson edition SAA based on that description.

Sounds like what Bat really wanted was my 50th anniversary Blackhawk.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    In all the reprints or copies of Masterson's letter I've read he specifies the barrel should end at the ejector housing. That would make his request for a 4-3/4" barrel rather than the 5-1/2" barrel portrayed. To back that up, the Bat Masterson edition had a 4-3/4" barrel.

M2, over on the Colt Forum Jim Martin is considered one of the best. You might stop in there and get his phone number. I don't think he has a web site as he's a bit old school for that. (smile)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 06-17-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    No no no. That's all wrong. You're supposed to master a long gritty 7lb trigger to really tactically manage the hell out of a threat.
    Because federal court, massive civil and criminal penalties for very small deviance from some perceived MMQB way a current jury understands use of lethal force was a HUGE factor for Pat Garrett.....😉
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Because federal court, massive civil and criminal penalties for very small deviance from some perceived MMQB way a current jury understands use of lethal force was a HUGE factor for Pat Garrett.....😉
    The more I see fellow cops and others handle guns, the more I wish the P250 was standard issue across the nation. To carry something else, you have to pass a tough test.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I wonder--and I wonder because I don't know--if the old-line gunfighters who used single-action guns favored light triggers because they did not cock their revolvers until they were certain they were going to fire, at which point a quick--and crisp--trigger pull would be a distinct advantage, because the decision to fire already had been made.

Also, Garret's order reminds me very much of Elmer Keith's early custom Colts--made only about 40 years after Garret's (so, think the distance in time between a 1930's-era custom 1911 and a 1970's Pachmayr Special)--the common features being crisp triggers, sights you can see, and a handy barrel length suitable for carry in a belt holster sometimes concealed beneath a man's jacket.
    Last edited by oregon45; 06-17-2019 at 10:27 PM.

User Tag List