Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1187P

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Thanks! Here is one of the shortened-from-both-ends 1187 Premier;

I have an 1187 Premier. It would be amazing to turn her into something like that.

What barrel is that? One of my 1187 barrels is similar I think, but is marked light loads only. Who did the work?

I'd like a 1301 for HD, but if my 1187 could be pressed into service for less money I wouldn't hesitate.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    What barrel is that? One of my 1187 barrels is similar I think, but is marked light loads only.
    The barrel on mine started off at 26 inches, vent rib/pressure compensated (.116” dual gas ports) with RemChokes. Both 2-3/4 and 3-inch shells can be used with this barrel.

The barrel you have is probably marked "Target" for trap and skeet loads. IIRC, it should have .120" ports so the Federal reduced-recoil LE loads should work fine with it cut back. I would avoid full power loads, though.

Here is the mod list;

- Shortened the barrel to 18-3/4 inches and re-installed the RemChokes
    - HiViz CompSight PM1002 - Competition Shotgun Sight (same as used on the 1100 Tac4)
    - Cut the stock down by about one inch to 13” LOP and re-installed the original Remington butt pad
    - Choate 2-shot magazine extension (replaced rubber retaining plug on the end of the tube with a Brownells stainless steel follower)
    - Dave’s Metal Works Easyloader
    - Dave's Metal Work bolt handle
    - Vang Comp dome button safety
    - Wolff Magazine spring
    - S&J Hardware Delrin follower

The stock and barrel were shortened by a local gunsmith.

It cycles the same reduced-recoil Federal LE loads mentioned above without issue.

I prefer the vent rib with FO sight to the rifle sights on the 1187P.

For handling, I prefer the composite stock of the 1187P, easier to grip when wet. But the wood and polished blued steel looks much nicer. :-)

Good gun, reliable and at 50 yards with slugs, POI is only a few inches off from POA.

A few more pics;

Last edited by NH Shooter; 06-21-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I'd like a 1301 for HD, but if my 1187 could be pressed into service for less money I wouldn't hesitate.
    Definitely a lot less $$, but for a competition gun the 1301 is the better choice. It has better "ammo management" features than the 1187. For example, with the 1187;

• With a shell in the chamber and shells in the magazine, you have to drop two shells on the ground to lock back the bolt (or close the bolt on an empty chamber). The shell in the chamber can be ejected by racking the bolt, but there's no way to stop another shell from coming out of the magazine. So what you need to do is rack the bolt to eject the chambered shell, then hold the bolt open and rotate the gun to drop the shell from the magazine sitting on the lifter out of the ejection port. It's not as hard as it sounds, but two live shells need to come out.
    • The magazine is not designed to be emptied without cycling all shells through the action. It can be done, but it's a bit tricky and requires some practice.

For a HD gun, a properly configured 1187 is IMO fine. Also (and FWIW), a blued steel gun with wood furniture is not as "scary" looking as one of those evil all-black guns.

As shown I have under $400 into the mods, including the gunsmith work of shortening the barrel and stock which was about $200.

User Tag List