Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: H&K in trouble?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, I think that Merkel just doesn't care about military spending.
    100% this ^^^

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Maybe that's why they're so expensive. HK had to build a plant here for a single sourced rifle. IIRC FN porotested and HK cut the price in half. Probably didn't do much for HK's bottom line but at least FN (and congress) got the price down to about twice what an open sourced rifle would cost.
    No. Just no. HK built a plant here for the failed XM8 and some handgun contracts years befor the M27 was even a thing. The M27 is not the only HK rifle being sold to the U.S. Military, that’s are buying HK417/G28 variants for the new DMR and Compact Sniper / M110k program.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-18-2019 at 11:11 PM.

(deleted by myself)
    Last edited by P30; 06-19-2019 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No. Just no. HK built a plant here for the failed XM8 and some handgun contracts years befor the M27 was even a thing. The M27 is not the only HK rifle being sold to the U.S. Military, that’s are buying HK417/G28 variants for the new DMR and Compact Sniper / M110k program.
    However that works.

When HK goes out of business I guess the US taxpayer will have to pay to rearm the USMC.

I'm still trying to figure out why the USMC needs a piston rifle and if they do, why a US company can't build it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Why don't they just make a flush fit P30/VP9 magazine that holds 17 rounds? I'd probably buy at least 6. I'd even promise not to bitch if the springs needed replacement occasionally. I'm sure most of you would to. Then they wouldn't have to risk going out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    Why don't they just make a flush fit P30/VP9 magazine that holds 17 rounds? I'd probably buy at least 6. I'd even promise not to bitch if the springs needed replacement occasionally. I'm sure most of you would to. Then they wouldn't have to risk going out of business.
    IIRC this came up before (17-rd flush-fit mags) and I believe the consensus was greater reliability in the 15-rd.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    IIRC this came up before (17-rd flush-fit mags) and I believe the consensus was greater reliability in the 15-rd.
    Sure, I get that there would probably be less spring fatigue and a longer follower is less likely to tilt, so the 15 round capacity in a long magazine body is very reliable. However pretty much every other company with that approximate length and width of magazine can get about 17 rounds. I don't hear that many complaints about 17 round magazines for Glocks, M&P, Beretta, etc. 15 vs 17 isn't a huge deal to me, but if they engineered a reasonably reliable 17 round magazine, they'd easily sell them to pretty much every HK pistol owner living in states without capacity restriction.
    Last edited by FreedomFries; 06-19-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Site Supporter
    As much as I would love 17 round magazines for my P30/VP9’s, the 15 rounders are bombproof.

Here is Todd G’s experience with his P30 Mags during that test: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....stion-for-Todd

As a die hard HK owner and shooter, I am hedging my relationship with HK. At some point this summer I plan on acquiring some Gen 5 Glocks.

Site Supporter
    However that works.

When HK goes out of business I guess the US taxpayer will have to pay to rearm the USMC.

I'm still trying to figure out why the USMC needs a piston rifle and if they do, why a US company can't build it.
    No.

When the US adopts a weapon they are not just paying for the guns, they are also paying for the Technical Data Package (TDP) which is all the data, specs etc to make the weapon. If necessary US can use the TDP to have other manufacturers make parts or complete rifles. How do you think the U.S. military wound up with hundreds of thousands of FN M16A3, M16A4 and M4 Rifles ?

Don’t Believe the hype. HK, like Colt has been going out of business forever. The corporate raiders always bleed it just enough without killing it.

Rah, rah rah US rifle is cool until it’s you, or your loved ones getting shot at, then it’s, yeah get the best damn thing available.

Personally I’m fine with standard, modernized DI Guns but if the USMC wants M27s, they are chump change in DOD budget terms. Hell they are chump change compared to what it costs to recruit, train equip an maintain an enlisted marine.

However that works.

Or H&K just turns over the TDP, and the USMC just finds an American manufacturer or whomever to continue building it. The M320A1 is currently manufactured by Capco, based out of CO, and there have been solicitations for American manufacturing of the M110A1.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 06-19-2019 at 12:31 PM.

User Tag List