Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: H&K in trouble?

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=RAM Engineer;892799] my reading comprehension is shot today. Never mind me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Got it. it just sounded like you said SIG was making Sniper and DMR rifles in GA.
    SIG was the first German company to go big in US production but the left wing German Govts whacko export laws have HK and Walter following suit. It can get a little tricky for non MIL/GOV production because HK USA and Walter USA are considered to be separate YS companies by the German Govt so their version of ITAR applies to transfers of technology and intellectual property. So getting the CAD/CNC files etc to make civilian MR762 rifles can be a bit complicated.

These articles about the sky falling for HK have been popping up almost yearly for the last decade...….maybe more. I just know I've been reading them for at least a decade. @Dagga Boy might be able to comment about the 90s from when he was hanging/working around some of the big gun magazine people/photographers.

Truth is, Germany needs HK. They can't afford to replace the G36 with an outside rifle, and will need HK to produce the HK433. They'll be kept on life support if needed until that contract starts receiving payment.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    These articles about the sky falling for HK have been popping up almost yearly for the last decade...….maybe more. I just know I've been reading them for at least a decade. @Dagga Boy might be able to comment about the 90s from when he was hanging/working around some of the big gun magazine people/photographers.

Truth is, Germany needs HK. They can't afford to replace the G36 with an outside rifle, and will need HK to produce the HK433. They'll be kept on life support if needed until that contract starts receiving payment.
    You're probably right but what Arbninftry said in post #4, is also true..as much as I like USPc's they're not worth $7-800 they get for them, especially with HK's dead in the water, rail system.. better triggers, pic rail, all would help along with being reasonably priced..
    Last edited by ralph; 06-17-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    You're probably right but what Arbninftry said in post #4, is also true..as much as I like USPc's they're not worth $7-800 they get for them, especially with HK's dead in the water, rail system.. better triggers, pic rail, all would help along with being reasonably priced..
    Oh believe me I think there's tons of things HK could have done smarter over the last couple decades.....I went through it the last time this topic came up (last year?).

It was interesting to hear about how small of a company they are...you assume that a major arms mfg like that is a huge corporation, but it explains the erratic supply issues they have.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    [snip]

Can you expound on why Germany needs HK and cannot afford an outside rifle? What is the issue that stops Germany from buying something from FNH, Steyr, or even Colt? Germany is not exactly poor, so the issue has to be related to a domestic sourcing requirement.

Maybe the German gov't can find another reason to fine them this year, that should help.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    It was interesting to hear about how small of a company they are...you assume that a major arms mfg like that is a huge corporation, but it explains the erratic supply issues they have.
    My dealer has just about everything HK makes on a backorder status. There just isn't much in the pipeline.

I'm not sure why the US military would buy anything from a foreign mfg. That's just all kinds of wrong.

We have the adm taxing civilians with tariffs while the military buys arms from foreign mfg's. Seems a bit odd when the stated goal is to put America first.

Yes, this happened on the present adm's watch. https://www.guns.com/news/2018/04/30...o-marine-corps
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-18-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Can you expound on why Germany needs HK and cannot afford an outside rifle? What is the issue that stops Germany from buying something from FNH, Steyr, or even Colt? Germany is not exactly poor, so the issue has to be related to a domestic sourcing requirement.
    The German government is broke as fuck. The majority of their tanks and airplanes aren't in serviceable condition, for instance. So I'm guessing here, but given their state of military disrepair I highly doubt they'd be able to afford purchasing an outside rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm not sure why the US military would buy anything from a foreign mfg. That's just all kinds of wrong.

We have the adm taxing civilians with tariffs while the military buys arms from foreign mfg's. Seems a bit odd when the stated goal is to put America first.
    Well, we've been buying foreign military equipment for over a hundred years. Krag rifle, M1917 Enfield, Benet-Mercie M1909, technically even the Lewis by the time we bought them were foreign weapons. M240, M249, Mk 46, Mk48, M11, Mk25, Mk23, Mk24, M9...……..all "foreign" guns.

In many cases they're made here either partially or wholly, though. A good portion of the money is going back into the US economy. The M27 is made (partially) by Americans, in an American factory of the US subsidiary of HK.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-18-2019 at 10:49 AM.

User Tag List