Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the mechanics of a consistent accurate presentation?

Site Supporter
    If you need to build a draw from the ground up, break it into two parts and micro drill those.

First: get your hand on the gun and establish a good grip.

Second: transition the gun out of the holster and onto the target.

I forget what Stoeger sets as the par times for these drills.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    7 Yards
    If you want consistent repeatable performance? You’ll need a couple of years of fairly focussed training. Or a year of very intense training.

I’m not joking or being flippant. That’s what it will take. Pick a method from any of the top trainers and then adjust to what your body type allows. You are talking about a pretty specific skill that requires a bunch of repetition in live and dry fire to accomplish. There are no free lunches or magic pills. You have to put in the reps and time. The mechanics are mostly unimportant. Pick one method and try it, adjust as needed, and report your progress back here.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 06-18-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

What are the mechanics of a consistent accurate presentation?

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    If you want consistent repeatable performance? You’ll need a couple of years of fairly focussed training. Or a year of very intense training.

I’m not joking or being flippant. That’s what it will take. Pick a method from any of the top trainers and then adjust to what your body type allows. You are talking about a pretty specific skill that requires a bunch of repetition in live and dry fire to accomplish. There are no free lunches or magic pills. You have to put in the reps and time. The mechanics are mostly unimportant. Pick one method and try it, adjust as needed, and report your progress back here.

Clobb has it right. There is no substitute for correct repetitive movement to confirm psychomotor skills.

Of course, they do have to be ‘correct’, which is where getting instruction from a good trainer is essential to lay a good foundational skill set.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-18-2019 at 07:37 PM.

I’m John Hearne and I approve of this message:
    https://youtu.be/1-sjUoGO250
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Beyond body position, grip, and driving the gun to a focal point under the dominant eye... there is a ton of minutia involved...a pliable grip, rolling the shoulders, specifics about where to apply tension, joint manipulation, etc. But what specifically do you do or notice that works for you? Recently I've noticed more consistency when I set/lock my wrists as soon as both hands meet and prior to full extension.
    There is a specific set of tactile / kinesthetic feedback points I am looking for. There could be a ton of minutia but you can't possibly be paying attention to every single thing when you're trying to hit low par times. I have maybe four things that I consciously pay attention to when practicing a draw, and I forget about everything else. Those things might be different for you. I think to have a consistent draw one needs a consistent framework how to, and just setting low pars is not enough.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    You also have to decide which philosophy you want to play with. Four point draw, or press out? I am still conceptually liking the press out, but the four point draw has been so ingrained over the last 27 years that it is still the faster option for me.
    This statement intrigues me, as it being an either/or position. I had envisioned that the transition from 3 > 4 could be a press out....If one chose.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    This statement intrigues me, as it being an either/or position. I had envisioned that the transition from 3 > 4 could be a press out....If one chose.
    I certainly learned to prep my trigger from three to four so that I could pick up my sights just before full extension and the gun went bang right as I hit full extension. Shooting TDA Sig Sauer P229.

I was always taught that the gun travels in a straight line from #2 (rock and lock) to #4, and #3 occurs somewhere along the line when the support hand gets on the gun.

The Press Out as I remember TLG teaching it is a J- or L-shaped draw. I really liked his reasoning behind the press out, particularly for what I do for a living. I also frequently like muzzle up ready positions. Someone doing a TLG type press out will consistently be accused of "fishing" by hard core old school Modern Technique police instructors insisting on a solid four point draw..

Both can be draws to index, both can allow the slack to be taken out of the trigger.

That is how my pea brain separates them.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-20-2019 at 09:50 AM.

^^^^

Ah. I'm tracking. I appreciate the clarification.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Sorry is this what you are looking for?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Sorry is this what you are looking for?

That is a little different four point draw stroke than most cops practice in this part of the country. Also,when you point guns at people a whole bunch you shoot at them very little. When you point guns at paper targets a lot you tend to shoot a lot and can afford a screw up. As Dagga Boy points out .5 second splits are not unreasonable when decision making is involved.

When the world is a shoot target, and the penalty is a few points, you err on the side of taking the shot. When your life, freedom and livelihood are at stake you tend become quite conservative in where and when you place rounds.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.

User Tag List