Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the mechanics of a consistent accurate presentation?

What are the mechanics of a consistent accurate presentation?

When presenting a pistol from a ready position or the holster what are the key mechanics to achieve a fast, accurate, and consistent index on a 3x5 card? 1.5 second or less fast...

Is this the death of gun forums?

No, it’s not the death of gun forums. People are probably out enjoying Father’s Day with their families.

The mechanics are being able to drive the sights to where you’re looking as efficiently as possible. The efficiency comes from doing the least amount of work. The speed comes from practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know how to draw a pistol safely from a holster, but i'm not sure i can describe each step in a satisfactory manner. practice?

good grip, pull up, rotate barrel towards target, bring to eye level while your weak side hand joins the grip, sights on target, pull trigger?

Beyond body position, grip, and driving the gun to a focal point under the dominant eye... there is a ton of minutia involved...a pliable grip, rolling the shoulders, specifics about where to apply tension, joint manipulation, etc. But what specifically do you do or notice that works for you? Recently I've noticed more consistency when I set/lock my wrists as soon as both hands meet and prior to full extension.

Chip away at it.

During dry practice, set your par time just a bit faster than you can currently do it. Work in what Steve Anderson calls "Speed Mode" until you can consistently exceed the part time you want by 20%. (Your dry draw should be 1.2 or 1.3s for a live fire 1.5s)

Speed Mode means you suspend judgement of accuracy. Dry practice with no target until you can consistently get the speed.

Then continuously increase the target difficulty til your satisfied.

Cheers,
    David S.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    When presenting a pistol from a ready position or the holster what are the key mechanics to achieve a fast, accurate, and consistent index on a 3x5 card? 1.5 second or less fast...
    What distance are you taking about?
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Chip away at it.

During dry practice, set your par time just a bit faster than you can currently do it. Work in what Steve Anderson calls "Speed Mode" until you can consistently exceed the part time you want by 20%. (Your dry draw should be 1.2 or 1.3s for a live fire 1.5s)

Speed Mode means you suspend judgement of accuracy. Dry practice with no target until you can consistently get the speed.

Then continuously increase the target difficulty til your satisfied.

Cheers,
    David S.
    Word. When training for the instructor pre qualification I was able to use decreasing par times to get to a .80 draw and first round on a standard IPSC target. As the target got smaller the time went up from there. 4 yards was the distance from my bed to my closet door holding the target. It was very similar to some of then concepts TLG taught years later at AFHF, but by then life had caused my skills to erode a bit.

When I went live fire for accuracy my standard was a full 1911 mag to the scuba mask at 25 yards. Can't do that anymore, either.

You also have to decide which philosophy you want to play with. Four point draw, or press out? I am still conceptually liking the press out, but the four point draw has been so ingrained over the last 27 years that it is still the faster option for me.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-17-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    What distance are you taking about?
    7 Yards

To pile on to my previous post:

Give yourself permission to go fast. If a fast draw is your goal, then you have to set the very important tactical reality stuff on a shelf. All that threat assessment stuff that Bolke and Dobbs rightly recommend will be there when you get back. Just haul ass.

Eliminate barriers to success. Make it easier.

• Eliminate concealment.
    • Use a "gamer rig," preferably strong side OWB with some sort of offset. (Check out the Blackhawk CQC (not SERPA) for a cheap, $25 temporary solution if you're not into the games. Obviously, upgrade to something like a Comp-tac Int'l or Blade-tec if you can)
    • Don't engage the trigger. Steve Anderson wants you to touch the trigger, but not engage or prep the trigger when working the draw.

When you have the par times where you want them, add those complications back in, one at a time.

My current dry practice par time is sitting right about 0.6 seconds and my live fire draw is sitting right about high 0.8s to low 0.9s. That should take you a week or two if you already have a serviceable draw.

That said, when I took his class in April, Steve had everyone well under a second in about a 15 minutes of dry practice, including an older gentleman who's goal was a 2 second draw. If you get stuck, you might contact Steve for a Facetime Tuneup.

Disclaimer: I've bought his book and attended his class, but I'm not in any way affiliated with Steve Anderson. Ben Stoeger, Mike Seeklander and I'm sure a couple others have excellent training programs too.
    Last edited by David S.; 06-17-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    David S.

User Tag List