Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are the mechanics of a consistent accurate presentation?

I am confused. The original post was asking for tips on drawing and referencing hitting a 3 by 5 card in 1.5 seconds. Thats not Bill Drill speed but it is fast. I did not see anything in the OP referencing police, and the subdirectory is marksmanship and handling, not law enforcement.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 06-20-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    When presenting a pistol from a ready position or the holster what are the key mechanics to achieve a fast, accurate, and consistent index on a 3x5 card? 1.5 second or less fast...
    In my experience, the core fundemental is repetition and familiarization. But mechanical and physical technique wise, there are a few observations I've made that will improve your ability to meet your stated target times, note on their own these tips do nothing, they are all predicated on repetition and familiarization via practice live and dry.

Stand more normal: don't over do the triangle isocelese thing, let your hips and feet go to a more natural fighting stance, the gun will extend to a more intuitive position this way.

Grip more vogel: really wrap that support hand in and earn that extra purchase and friction for 0 extra energy investment.

Trigger prep: Call me a fool if you want, hitting a 3x5 at 7 yards in 1.5 seconds is notably easier when appropriately prepping the trigger.

Teach your eyes focal resting indexes: in the same way we train our hands, elbows and feet into repeatable forms, do this specifically for the "hard target focus pre draw / sight focus post draw & mid presentation. If you teach your eyes a focal resting index point you can pick up those sights faster on extension.

Oh jeeze, phone posting, i hope the typos are limited
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

break your draw down into parts. spend some time lifting your shirt and getting a master grip, then add a draw to a sight picture. practice just the press out to proper sight alignment. try "slow motion" draws and focus on perfect movements, then speed it up more and more still keeping your movement perfect. doing this enough will benefit you when your going at full speed. use a shot timer with a par time, this is probably one of the most important things you can do. set the par time to where its on the edge of your ability and work from there. be honest with yourself about the quality of each movement in your draw and presentation\ sight picture. sloppy practice will net sloppy performance.

User Tag List