Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: General Purpose Revolvers

While I don't find a 4" GP100 too heavy or too difficult to conceal, I understand the preference for a somewhat lighter 3".

The new Colt King Cobra is very enticing, beautifully finished with an exceptional out-of-the-box triggerpull in the two that I've handled. My hesitation on them is two-fold: 1). I'm uncertain if Colt is now using thorough=hardened action components; if not, future action jobs are limited to spring swaps. Older Troopers/Lawman/King Cobras used surface-hardened key components...; 2) Colt's viability as a manufacturer who will still be on the scene 5 years from now, as the perpetually seem to be on the ragged edge of bankruptcy and insolvency.

Ruger's 2.75" (or rarer 3" USPS version) Speed Six would be my best recommendation. Even though Ruger no longer supports them, they're so well built that they rarely break or require servicing.

An expensive alternative would be Chapuis Manurhin's MR-88, which is a French refinement of the Security Six, and still available BNIB, in 3" and in stainless steel.https://chapuis-armes.com/en/manhurin

If having the best sights available is a vital criteria, I'd suggest a Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 or one of the 3" GP10s0 with Ruger's adjustable rear sight-or the lighter, half-underlugged 4" GP100 Match Champion (or a 4" Security Six)

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-17-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    While I don't find a 4" GP100 too heavy or too difficult to conceal, I understand the preference for a somewhat lighter 3".

The new Colt King Cobra is very enticing, beautifully finished with an exceptional out-of-the-box triggerpull in the two that I've handled. My hesitation on them is two-fold: 1). I'm uncertain if Colt is now using thorough=hardened action components; if not, future action jobs are limited to spring swaps. Older Troopers/Lawman/King Cobras used surface-hardened key components...; 2) Colt's viability as a manufacturer who will still be on the scene 5 years from now, as the perpetually seem to be on the ragged edge of bankruptcy and insolvency.

Ruger's 2.75" (or rarer 3" USPS version) Speed Six would be my best recommendation. Even though Ruger no longer supports them, they're so well built that they rarely break or require servicing.

An expensive alternative would be Chapuis Manurhin's MR-88, which is a French refinement of the Security Six, and still available BNIB, in 3" and in stainless steel.https://chapuis-armes.com/en/manhurin

If having the best sights available is a vital criteria, I'd suggest a Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 or one of the 3" GP10s0 with Ruger's adjustable rear sight-or the lighter, half-underlugged 4" GP100 Match Champion (or a 4" Security Six)

Best, Jon
    I wish the WC GP100's came with a half lug barrel and the adjustable Novak rear, along with a bobbed hammer and DAO operation. The DAO would definitely slow sales with the masses, but I can't think of a better general use revolver for HD and belt carry than the setup I just described. At least, I would love it

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I really like the Match Champion. I haven't heard of people swapping in an adjustable Novak in place of the fixed Novak that comes on the fixed-sight version. Didn't know that was an option, if that's what's been implied here.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I really like the Match Champion. I haven't heard of people swapping in an adjustable Novak in place of the fixed Novak that comes on the fixed-sight version. Didn't know that was an option, if that's what's been implied here.
    Novak has an adjustable sights on the website that looks to me like it should swap right in. I haven't ordered one......yet. It's on my to-do list, but I just had the MC out for shooting yesterday and the fixed set up was right on the money with the 158gr stuff I was using.

Site Supporter

Novak for Ruger GP100MC

I replaced the factory Ruger GP100MC rear sight with this Novak: https://www.novaksights.com/Detail.a...11282&CAT=9509. It is easily adjustable for elevation. Adjusting for windage requires drifting. Best, ELN.

Consider what the FBI issued pre Miami shootout (1986). The S&W model 13. 3 inch K frame. Capable of .357 ammo, but most carried with .38+P. Stainless version was the model 65.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Did you solve your shiny rear sight issue?
    Working on it. Tangentially, another thread here convinced me that I need to revisit taking a flashlight to the range, and a side benefit of doing that training is that my surefire hand-held mitigates the issue. I bought some flat black touch up paint a while back, and when I get a full day off, I’ll hit the shop and line across the rear trough. For now, it’s still a work in progress, which is why the King hangs out in the safe at night, and the Night Cobra never goes into the safe.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Working on it. Tangentially, another thread here convinced me that I need to revisit taking a flashlight to the range, and a side benefit of doing that training is that my surefire hand-held mitigates the issue. I bought some flat black touch up paint a while back, and when I get a full day off, I’ll hit the shop and line across the rear trough. For now, it’s still a work in progress, which is why the King hangs out in the safe at night, and the Night Cobra never goes into the safe.
    I was thinking about the problem you are having and after studying my new cobra a possible solution maybe to serrate the rear of the frame (like 50 lines to the inch) above the hammer to break up the reflection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I was thinking about the problem you are having and after studying my new cobra a possible solution maybe to serrate the rear of the frame (like 50 lines to the inch) above the hammer to break up the reflection.
    That’s most likely where I will end up, when I feel like turning loose of the thing long enough. I’m basically those serrations, and some rear blueing, and a DAO/hammer de-spur away from having my personal ideal wheelie, so I’ll likely end up there.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I carry a 3” K frame AIWB, and I don’t think a 4” would be any harder to conceal in the right holster.

If it K-comp were an F-comp (stainless) I’d probably own one, but I swear way too much.

User Tag List