Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Purpose Revolvers

General Purpose Revolvers

So for the last week I've been falling, at terminal velocity, down the revolver rabbit hole. After the DB & Chris P&S Snubbies episode, I started to AIWB a 638 I have. I did it all week, and it's been heaven on my back. I only have three revolvers...

No-lock 638, not sure on year.
    Ruger New Vaquero 4.6" Stainless from 2007
    1961 Ruger Bearcat

I'm looking for a good general purpose mid-size steel framed revolver. Purpose is "everything I can think of", to include range and field use, but not so big that I can't conceal it AIWB if I wanted to. For that, I figured a 6 shot K frame or similar.

I'm not opposed to any brand, or any age. I love the older guns, and with very little patience, could probably get about any older Smith, Colt, or Ruger I set my mind to via connections at work. That said, from what I've read, Smith is no longer working on some of the older guns, and Ruger stopped supporting the "Six" series. I tend to prefer "stock" guns, in that I don't want to buy something and start swapping out a pile of parts. I also like having factory support, so I'm leaning towards something new.

Only other criteria is 3" barrel, black or blued, with real sights. I can buy different stocks if needed. My current preference is the new production M19 Carry Comp. Any reason why this wouldn't fill the role? I'm a revolver newb, and fully understand that I don't know what I don't know. As such, suggestions welcomed. What are you using, or would you use, and why?

If 3" is a must, and trough read sights are out, my pick would be one of the Ruger 3" Wiley Clapp GP100's. I'd probably go with the stainless one and replace the fixed Novak rear with an adjustable one. A lot of people like the compact GP100 grips. I tried them and hated them. I prefer the Hogue no finger groove grips, either rubber or wood (wood ones are found on the GP100 Match Champion). If you aren't 100% hard set on the 3", the GP100 Match Champion gets my vote, in 357 mag.

Finally, if you just want to get in easy and cheap, find a 4" GP100 used, just the boring standard model. I've got one of these as well as a Match Champion and it's really really hard for me to prove through hard data that I shoot the more expensive model any better.

I used to be a hard core Smith and Wesson guy.....lack of factory support on the older models and the lack of QC, combined with the lock on the new guns, finally made me a Ruger buyer. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    If 3" is a must, and trough read sights are out, my pick would be one of the Ruger 3" Wiley Clapp GP100's. I'd probably go with the stainless one and replace the fixed Novak rear with an adjustable one. A lot of people like the compact GP100 grips. I tried them and hated them. I prefer the Hogue no finger groove grips, either rubber or wood (wood ones are found on the GP100 Match Champion). If you aren't 100% hard set on the 3", the GP100 Match Champion gets my vote, in 357 mag.

Finally, if you just want to get in easy and cheap, find a 4" GP100 used, just the boring standard model. I've got one of these as well as a Match Champion and it's really really hard for me to prove through hard data that I shoot the more expensive model any better.

I used to be a hard core Smith and Wesson guy.....lack of factory support on the older models and the lack of QC, combined with the lock on the new guns, finally made me a Ruger buyer. YMMV
    The GP series is slightly larger than an L frame. The OP was sort of specific about a K frame sized gun but, then there’s that desire of factory support thing...
    Last edited by Wheeler; 06-16-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

For my own use, Id get a decent older 4" smith 19. If the 4" is too much, a 2 1/2" 19. The major wear parts are still available from Smith, or are being made in quality copies. Power makes hands and cylinder locking bolts. Theres other sources of parts also.To me, being somewhat handy, the parts or maintenance isnt an issue at all. Whatever smith is sending out the door at present doesnt affect me at this point other than Im glad i can still get most parts Ive ever needed or wanted as spares. Ive bought a handful of new smiths in the distant past, but now Id buy an older gun in decent shape before id buy a new one in any event, just how Im wired.

The King Cobra seems to meet most of your requirements. Additionally, it'll fire .357 magnum loads if that's ever necessary.

Caution: Firing .38s in a .357 chamber means you have to clean the chambers occasionally.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/king-cobra-357

I really like the 3” K- and L-frames, but the K’s are bringing more and more money when the sell. I had a 3” 686 CS-1 that I really liked, but it went to my dad. The K is a little easier to carry.

I would be hard pressed to buy a new Smith. I prefer the old ones, and even if the factory might not work on them, there are still other gunsmiths that will.

Site Supporter
    Ruger Gl-100 or the 3” WC version are good but too big and too heavy for what you want.

The new 2.75” S&W M66 or the 3” M19 carry comp seems to be exactly what you are looking for. New S&W are a crap shoot but if you can find someone with a couple of the new 2.75” M66 in stock pick through for a good one.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....7-My-new-M66-8

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-19-carry-comp
    Last edited by HCM; 06-16-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Some good thoughts here.

In my opinion, there’s nothing like an older s&w. That said, there is no factory support, but there are enough parts and reasonably competent ‘smiths around to keep them running long into the future.

I’ve got a well tuned GP100, and it’s a fine gun but still no K frame Smith. It’s bigger, heavier and will probably outlast about anything that rotates it’s ammo supply into line with the bore.

For a general purpose revo, I’d say go 4”. It’ll gain you a little velocity, enough to help 38s expand and let magnums reach their advertised specs. Still not hard to conceal in a good holster. Depending on your vision the extra sight radius may help too.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I have no problem concealing a 3" GP-100, but understand that's build and clothing specific. YMMV.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I've considered the GP, but figured it's just a little too big (and heavy) if I ever felt like concealing. It's not the main purpose, but it's still a role I think I can fill with something smaller. That's also the reason behind a 3" instead of a 4". The new Colts look fine, and check most boxes, but I'm not crazy about the lack of real sights.
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-16-2019 at 04:03 PM.

User Tag List