Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: General Purpose Revolvers

When I first got it another ex cop who grew up on wheelguns came with me to the range. We burned 200 rounds of Federal 357B plus another 50 of Federal 38G in 45 minutes. We laughed. It was fun, not punishing. Neither of us were sore the next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/817848655

$600 for a 686 Mountain gun. Seems like a solid GP revolver

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/817848655

$600 for a 686 Mountain gun. Seems like a solid GP revolver
    It gained some ground at the end though. Actually more than I paid for my 57-5 Mountain Gun, which is my absolute favorite.

Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  45.8 KBName:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  37.0 KB

I plan to feel up a GP100 3" tomorrow, but unless I'm overwhelmed, I think I'm sold on the PC 19 K-comp at this point.

The only thing on my "General Purpose" list that it won't (shouldn't?) do is shoot snake shot. Otherwise, it checks all the boxes for me and then some. I originally viewed the PowerPort as a negative and looked elsewhere, but it's probably a positive for shooting magnum loads.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I plan to feel up a GP100 3" tomorrow, but unless I'm overwhelmed, I think I'm sold on the PC 19 K-comp at this point.

The only thing on my "General Purpose" list that it won't (shouldn't?) do is shoot snake shot. Otherwise, it checks all the boxes for me and then some. I originally viewed the PowerPort as a negative and looked elsewhere, but it's probably a positive for shooting magnum loads.
    Curious to see which you choose. I have had a lust for a 67 Power Port, but kind of hen's teeth right now. I considered the 19 k comp but don't trust myself to not shoot magnums out of it. I now I don't like 357 out of a k frame, but sometimes my self control is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post

My buddies had a great trigger out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    It gained some ground at the end though. Actually more than I paid for my 57-5 Mountain Gun, which is my absolute favorite.

Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  45.8 KBName:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  37.0 KB
    That's beautiful

If I had to go with new production, and if big critters aren't a problem, I wonder how a Ruger SP101 3" in .327 Mag would fare as kind of a Light GP revolver.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That's an interesting point. Id love to shoot a WC sxs to my m66-8 and see if there's a big difference.
    I love the GP ergonomics. I have the MC 10mm and it’s easier to handle with full-house 10mm than my 625. I have no prior experience with 10mm, so IDK it recoils harder than a .45 auto.

That’s after I replaced those awful wood Hogues with plain rubber.

It’s got the best Ruger DA trigger I’ve ever shot, which isn’t saying much. I did buy a shim kit (yet to be installed). The hammer still has some play and the “dog” as they call the DA hammer sear looks like it could turn 90 degrees sideways.

No matter how hard I try to love Ruger DAs (and I’ve owned several) I pick up a Smith and it’s like sipping fine aged whiskey vs Ripple.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I love the GP ergonomics. I have the MC 10mm and it’s easier to handle with full-house 10mm than my 625. I have no prior experience with 10mm, so IDK it recoils harder than a .45 auto.

That’s after I replaced those awful wood Hogues with plain rubber.

It’s got the best Ruger DA trigger I’ve ever shot, which isn’t saying much. I did buy a shim kit (yet to be installed). The hammer still has some play and the “dog” as they call the DA hammer sear looks like it could turn 90 degrees sideways.

No matter how hard I try to love Ruger DAs (and I’ve owned several) I pick up a Smith and it’s like sipping fine aged whiskey vs Ripple.
    I was shooting my Redhawk today and quite often the trigger stops during the press. Otherwise it's just not great when actually shooting.

Totally takes the fun out of it.

User Tag List