Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: General Purpose Revolvers

Well, at least for now, I've scratched my itch and filled the role with a 4" Security Six from 1978. Not really what I was after, but it'll work just fine for most of what I want it to do, and I got it for a song.

Thanks to all the info found in the revolver section here, and some PF friends via text, I was able to understand what to look for and how to do a few easy checks. Timing and lock up are tight with a very little amount of perceived end shake. Had a few revolver dudes at work check it out and they said it was solid.

Love the stock grips by Pachmayr. They point really well for me. Needs a new front sight, the one on there is a bit loose (unless someone knows how to tighten it up?). Any rear sight options? Not a huge fan of stainless, so I've already got some ideas on that. Still need a 3" K frame though.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Well, at least for now, I've scratched my itch and filled the role with a 4" Security Six from 1978. Not really what I was after, but it'll work just fine for most of what I want it to do, and I got it for a song.

Thanks to all the info found in the revolver section here, and some PF friends via text, I was able to understand what to look for and how to do a few easy checks. Timing and lock up are tight with a very little amount of perceived end shake. Had a few revolver dudes at work check it out and they said it was solid.

Love the stock grips by Pachmayr. They point really well for me. Needs a new front sight, the one on there is a bit loose (unless someone knows how to tighten it up?). Any rear sight options? Not a huge fan of stainless, so I've already got some ideas on that. Still need a 3" K frame though.

That's a damn solid choice in my book.

Site Supporter

The front sight is secured with a roll pin. Replacing it with the proper size will resolve the issue. Consult the Ruger forum for specifics. Too, ask Ruger's service dept. Logic would dictate that this particular pin isi used in other models.

Looks like m first duty gun. I have a similar one in my safe I've not got around to shooting.

Love the stock grips by Pachmayr. They point really well for me. Needs a new front sight, the one on there is a bit loose (unless someone knows how to tighten it up?). Any rear sight options?
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...ger/security-6

Nice find! I wish I had mine back.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd return to this one. The Security Six just doesn't fit or point for me well, or not nearly as well as a square butt K Frame does, so I'm still on the hunt for a 4" K frame (well, a 3" but prices are insane). My question...

I really prefer the fixed sight versions, for both simplicity and aesthetics. I also like the rounded sight picture vs the super blocky and squared off adjustable. Kind of like a Wilson Battlesight vs a 10-8 rear on a 1911. I know vision is a unique and personal thing, but are there any huge drawbacks I'm missing by going with say a fixed sight model 65 over an adjustable model 66?

Site Supporter

Once you decide on a preferred round shooting to point of aim, you will be well served. Of course in low light the rear notch in the frame will be less easy to see than the more prominent adjustable rear. i say buy the first affordable K frame that you see that satisfies your need, whether a 65 or 66. The advantage of the 3 inch version is its round butt that makes it more compact. If you crave it, then get it. Another $100 or so should not nullify the purchase. But for general purpose a 4 inch revolver will do nicely. Too, the extra inch of sight radius will provide more precise aiming. We like 3 inch revolvers because they have visual appeal and look cool.

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd return to this one. The Security Six just doesn't fit or point for me well, or not nearly as well as a square butt K Frame does, so I'm still on the hunt for a 4" K frame (well, a 3" but prices are insane).
    https://aimsurplus.com/smith-wesson-...38spl-revolver
    David S.

A few good options here
    https://www.kingsfirearmsonline.com/...ry_group_id=56

I'm pretty happy with the m64 I got from here as well.
    https://shop.adventureoutdoors.us/ha...-trade-1958439

I think I prefer fixed sights over adjustable for general use too.

User Tag List